altec 414/comp driver crossover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hey all--

looking to see if anybody out there has got experience with an altec 414 8ohm (b in this instance), and a passive XO centered somewheres around 1k- first or second order is fine. really, what i need is to find impedance curves to try to extrapolate what precisely is going on- in theory- with my crossover at xo frequency.

no impedance info for one driver.. no idea what the real crossover freq. is!

i've only got sonics to rely on- and despite being happy with the midrange- i'd still like to see if theres room for improvement.

currently, the driver is in a 3.6 cu ft. ported box tuned to 32hz.

the present layout of the crossover is-

bms 4552nd-- 16.8 uF main cap- lpad- 5uF compensation cap across postive terminals of the lpad (for horn rolloff)

altec 414 8b- 1.2 mH inductor.

what i THINK is going on: BMS at 1080 hz crossover- 9.25 ohms.
altec at same- at 8 ohms

BUT- is the altec stable at 8 ohms at crossover for a box of this size?

thanks for any input!

yrs
d.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2002
Hi:

In the picture below you may find the impedance/phase graph of an Altec 414/8 I messed with a while back. I think you may need a measurement microphone and some software to be able to tune the system properly.

Regards,
Milan

Attachments

• altec.jpg
    altec.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 352
hey mo or other passive users--

with a driver running 4 ohms over nominal at XO-- what would be the ramifications for a 1st order's inductor? by the looks of it-- it brings the value up to 1.8mh or thereabouts for a similar frequency-- but i'm not sure how to calculate an inductor's value in this instance-- is it based on the crossover impedance, the nominal, or some sort of average of the two?

any ideas?

thanks much!

d.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.