SEAS metal dome tweeter info needed - 27TBC/G & 27TBFC/G

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey, I got a question about the SEAS 27TBC/G (w/o FF) and 27TBFC/G (W/FF) aluminum dome tweeters. I looked on Z 's tweeter site and got some good info about the 27TBFC/G and wondered if anyone has compared the 27TBC/G to it, either just with listening and/or measurement. They're both designed for resonance control and built the same (maybe), but one just has the FF added. I notice the 27TBC/G (w/o FF) does not have that 26khz peak which interests me, as well as the fact that I'm inclined to believe that all things being equal, drivers without FF sound better. Ok, I don't want any intense arguing here, just wondered if anyone had any experience with the non-FF unit. I did do a search but didn't find what I wanted, although I did get some really good stuff that helped get me to this point.

When ferrofluid was first introduced every brand rushed into using it. Tweeters with dome construction were never capable of handling as much power as with the fluid. At a certain point many tweeters were not even available anymore without ferrofluid.

Seas however was the first large manufacturer to produce them without the fluid again. Testing over extended periods of time the FF models showed less detail and efficiency. The dome's without the fluid tend to sound better for a longer period of time and are nowadays better in power capability due to modern construction. (allowing more dome-displacement and better cooling through openings or VC carrier/dome material/treatment).

A metal-dome tends to cool very well... though I personally find soft/silk-domes more pleasant to my ears...

The 26khz peak is inaudible and therefore irrelevant.

I haven't heard either unit but am planning on building Zaph's BAMTM. I'm erring on the side of caution knowing that the 27TBFCG is the overall winner at any price (of all he tested).

There may be no audible differences between the two, and you probably won't go wrong either way.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.