alpheus or PMS?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I hope this poses an interesting question.

I'm looking at building my first DIY speakers, and to this end I've zeroed in on the web sites of two particular designers, Troels Gravesen and Roman Bendarek. Though there are obviously others out there that I've looked at, I find these two of particularly interesting, as I'm someone who knows little about electronics so I needs all the help that they provide on their respective sites.

As I'm on a reasonably restrained budget a number of Troel's fine designs such as the Acapella se are well beyond my financial reach at this particular juncture, though others like the PMS present attractive propositions. I've noted that a number of people on this site are either interested in pursuing the project when Troel comes up with the final cab design, or have already embarked upon the project. It certainly looks a great design for the price, and he's really given their sonic performance a fair degree of praise, which is something he normally seems to steer clear of with his designs.

An alternative is the Alpheus speaker designed by Roman Bendarek. Though it initially had tweeter problems (he purchased a faulty pair) the mark II version has corrected this, while also taking on board a new midrange. Though he has yet to post the full results on his site, his view apparently is that the tests to date show that the new version is a considerable improvement over the mark I version and has clearly set the new model as the best of his designs.

As they'll both be reasonably close to each other in price, I'm in rather a quandary regarding which of them to choose. The PMS certainly has one thing going for it, in that one or two people have acutally heard it and posted their views here and there.

Oddly enough, both have yet to be posted in their 'complete' guise, though from the sound of it it seems that the Alpheus data will be posted sometime in the next few weeks.

Anyone willing to take a stab, sound unheard, as to which path I should take?

That's the problems with DIY audio I guess, especially speakers - you're a lucky man if you can get to trial the speakers before you actually start making them!

Thank you

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.