Energy Pro 22 clone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys,
I've been searching for a new pair of speakers for some time now and it wasn't until yesterday that I heard anything that really grabbed me. Unfortunately they were a second hand set of Energy Pro 22's that were playing in a shop. They belonged to the owner who won't part with them. We compared them to almost everythng in the shop up to a value of AU$8000 and to my ears nothng completed with them.
Does anybody have any experience with the Energy Pro22's and does anybody have any idea on what I could use in the way of design, drivers and crossover which will provide a sound similar to these.
I found a thread on this forum dedicated to restoration of a pair and from the pictures included surprisingly the drivers don't seem to be anything special compared to what's available today.

Regards,
Glen.

There is a restoration thread going on here for the Refrence Con. version of hthe 22 which might yield some good info.

I owned the 22 Reference version some time ago (the middle of the line) and they were very good. Unfortunately for cloning efforts, I believe all the drivers were custom. Unless you can source the drivers either from Ebay or from Energy service, I'm not sure a clone project will get too far.

To Clone or not to Clone..

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9029&perpage=50&pagenumber=2

The 22 is also quite an old design. Energy drivers were proprietary and not from the usual suspects. So, unless you have access to retro raw materials and are an OEM driver manufacturer - this project is a non-starter! But really, the first question is why clone at all - follow the last few days of the above thread.

What you really should take from this is that the NRC (National Research Council of Canada) and Dr. Floyd Toole discovered some pretty fundamental and important criteria for a successful loudspeaker design. API (Energy, Athena,Mirage) paid attention to these criteria! Perhaps the rest of the speaker "design" world should.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.