boosting frequencies from 45-65hz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
here it is

xover.gif

Hi qguy,

I must explain why I first thought the vertical branch of your filter is a misplaced Zobel.

Looking at your R,C, L branch, I found a low Q and a center frequency of 1125 Hz that is
very close and is strongly interacting with the other components, so I tested with two
different loads to se what happened with the amplitude and the phase.

Then I moved the 2-Ohm resistor and the capacitor and placed the component as a Zobel.

For both loads the plots look much better, but I could be mistaken and your filter is in reality
a filter with a slope about 4.5 dB/octave and not a close to 18 dB/octave as it looks like?

Take a look at my plots :

B

Attachments

• rs3_5.gif
    rs3_5.gif
    23.6 KB · Views: 174
bjorno,

Perhaps the filter response is what the driver actually needs. We don't have info on what the xo is driving... for example, it may be a way to extend the frequency response of the LF unit just a bit so that the HF driver can be crossed just a bit higher in frequency...

qguy,

I've seen KEF use a coupling capacitor into the LF unit to "hump" the response just a tad. The coupling capacitor also reduces extreme LF response so that boosting (via bass control on the amp) allows for a bit more subjective 'oomph' without bottoming out the LF driver...

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.