Nice and cheap ( :D ) speaker measurement system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've just ordered a Behringer ecm8000 mic which is meant to be pretty flat from 10Hz to 20KHz (response goes up 2Db from about 2000Hz upwards) £40 from digital village.

You can get lots of freeware spectrum analysers off the net...

Do a search on spectrum analyser + freeware

btw - the mic needs a preamp..

Also do some searches on this site for mitey mike or panasonic capsule

I've downloaded the speaker workshop, but haven't received the mic yet to test it..

Good luck

Rob

SW

Hi,

Speaker workshop is nice, but it will take you time to set it up. Please, don't even try to make fast and dirty connections from the jacks of your PC, it will get you the more fun-boring-exasperating results. You'll have to make the jig as explained in audua page and the results make you happy!!. With a cheap soundcard is enough. My laptop has rescued my love, and we are happy again (poor P166...)
Anyway, to get useful measurements, you will have to use some impedance meters to compare the results.
It's a fantastic software!!!

RobWells said:
I've just ordered a Behringer ecm8000 mic which is meant to be pretty flat from 10Hz to 20KHz (response goes up 2Db from about 2000Hz upwards) £40 from digital village.
Hi Rob,

I am using this one also hooked to a M-Audio Duo USB 24 bit soundcard. The Behringer ECM8000 out of the box is only usable up to SPL’s of 90dB. At higher levels it starts to compress and distort. There is a modification that makes it usable to SPL levels of 130 dB.

The electret cartridge used is the Panasonic WM60. Have a look at http://www.linkwitzlab.com/sys_test.htm#Mic for modifying the cartridge.

;)

Pjotr : ""At higher levels it starts to compress and distort. There is a modification that makes it usable to SPL levels of 130 dB.""

Hi Pjtor,

Are there any details on the web about these modifications?

I'm only really using it to test the freq response from the speakers, and to set up the phase timings of seperate mid/tweet/bass units. I'm sure I can do this at,say 85Db, and still get good results...

Its a shame though, as my speakers are about 95Db sensitive, and I'd like to test at this level if possible.

Cheers

Rob

ECM8000 mod.

Hi Rob,

For the modification you need to dismantle the mic. You need to be careful then, it is not difficult but you need to know how to do it. I can’t send you a PM or e-mail through the forum for some reason ??? Please send me your e-mail address by PM. I will send you the schematic of the ECM8000 and a schematic of mod then.

;)

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Rob:

If you go to the top of the screen, you can click on "User cp". From there, you can click on "Edit Options", and from there, you can select "No" on the "Hide Email" question. This will enable Pjotr to send you an Email.

After you receive his Email, you can repeat the process and click Yes" on the "Hide Email" function.

This should work fine unless you think that you will be flooded with Emails from this forum in that short time.

By the way, I have sent members Emails and if I recall correctly, your actual Email address is not revealed. The sending member simply writes his message in a box and clicks "Send". He never finds out what address it is being sent to.

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
RobWells said:
...any idea why the pm ain't working

I first noticed the PM button several months ago. It didn't work then and it doesn't work now.

I don't know why the PM function does not work. Maybe Jason the Webmaster figured that with such a convenient automatic Email system it wasn't needed.

There is another possibility. I think the Loudspeaker Forum is a good deal more straightforward and easy-going than some other forums here. I wonder if the PM function might have worked once but was disabled because people were using it to call each other morons or worse. Just a guess.

Come to think of it, maybe I'll post the question in the Everything Else forum, (gotta do a Search first, though). :)

Measurement Software

1/ http://www.purebits.com

Price 300 EU. Works with soundcards up to 24 bit / 96 Khz and pretty well with USB soundcards. This software works on the MLS principle. Has a good TS measurement plug in.

2/ http://www.sumuller.de/audiotester

Price 25 EU This is a basic soundcard based signal and sweep generator, oscilloscope and spectrum analyser.

I bought the software from purebits a year ago and I am quite happy with it. For sure value for money. But it is not speaker design software like Speakerworkshop

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.