Flush To Plasma Center Speaker Design Needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I am looking to build a center speaker to fit FLUSH with a wall mounted plasma screen.

The Plasma will be around 150mm away from the wall. The Screen is 945 mm width - so the speaker shouldn't exceed 945, and I'd like it to be no more than 150mm high.

I would like to have a center speaker either directly above or below the screen and remain flush with the front glass. Many of the designs I have seen are too deep - presumably in an attempt to gain volume. This isn't an option.

My main Stereo pair are floorstanders with Focal Drive units, a C500 kit. I accept that ideally the center speaker should be identical to the rest - but appearance wise this is not going to happen!!

Can anyone suggest a design??

Many thanks.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
OK, allowing for 18mm thick walls, it looks like you have a volume of about 12 litres to play with. You need to start reading spec sheets to find a driver that will physically fit with your depth and diameter restrictions, and work in that volume. If you could go slightly higher, say 180mm. then you would open your options up to a lot more drivers as you could then use 6"-ers, rather than 4" ones you are currently limited to.

I think I might go for the Morel MW144, with their top mount tweeter, the MDT38. That way you can mount the centre speaker above or below the screen, then attach the tweeter to the top or bottom of the main enclosure, possibly angling it towards the listening position.

Thanks Pinkmouse & Chrish.

I am not keen to recess into the wall. It will be too much work and a structural issue..

I have looked at Morels MW144, with their top mount tweeter, the MDT38, and like the idea of this. I found iplacoustics already have a kit for this in 11 litres http://www.iplacoustics.co.uk/ipl__avc2_centre_speaker.htm

The only thing is the port is 180mm long meaning I would have to place this into the side, or turn it 90 degrees if located in the restricted depth front of my customised design (the cabinet dimensions would be radically altered to stay flush with plasma but retain req'd volume). Would this work well??

Thanks.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
The side mounting port should be fine, or if you want to have a play with a speaker design package you can adapt it to use two ports, one on each end. Ivan's designs are, in general, pretty good, which saves you the effort of designing a crossover. I must admit, if I had remembered he did that kit I would have pointed you straight at it. :)

I'm sure some of the smaller fostex's would be fine for this. The standard bass reflex design for the fe167e is around 12 litres although i'm not sure how it will sound with slightly more extreme dimensions like you'll need. The diameter will be a bit large too, would need to increase the speakers height.

You could see about adapating a similar design to the recommended fostex centre enclosure using 3 fe107e's, although you'd have to be a little creative with the bass ports.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.