void free plywood - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd October 2006, 11:07 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default void free plywood

There are lots of threads about this, but none specific to my enquiry, I think.
I recently sent an order to my timber merchants for the plywood for my imminent floorstander project.
I asked for 21mm void free baltic birch as is recommended throughout this forum. The chippy may be getting a bit carried away, but his struggling to find any that is guaranteed to be void free.
How important is the void free characteristic?
Is all decent quality baltic birch sold in the UK likely to be sufficently void free?
TIA
Old 22nd October 2006, 04:00 PM   #2
synergy is offline synergy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

sounds familiar i keep getting the 'we don't stock it cos no-one buys it' line

my stock reply is well the last time i was here you had a whole pallet full and i bought 5 sheets so where has the rest gone?

i have similar problems with t-nuts...

anyways back to your question if it doesn't say it's void free then there's no way to guarantee it

as long as you're using ply with a decent no of laminates there should be no real problems with it affecting the sound of your cabinet the only problem will be the finishing if you happen to stumble on a void within the cut (they can be packed and made near invisible with a bit of care)

21mm is a bit hard to come by and also as it's a non standard thickness expensive

to be honest the difference in sound from that and a well braced cabinet made from 18mm will be negligable

my advise pay a visit to B&Q as their birch ply is of a fairly resonable quality and around £32 a sheet
Old 22nd October 2006, 04:24 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: void free plywood

"Real" Baltic or Finish birch ply is good enough.

I rarely see voids greater than ~ .5 x 1 cm.
All the plies are birch, sanded to equal thickness, which gives it the characteristics speaker builders seek. Consistency is your friend.

Avoid ordinary birch faced cabinet grade ply. The inner plies are a mis-mash made of varying species, mostly soft-wood.

Quote:
Originally posted by dublin78
There are lots of threads about this, but none specific to my enquiry, I think.
I recently sent an order to my timber merchants for the plywood for my imminent floorstander project.
I asked for 21mm void free baltic birch as is recommended throughout this forum. The chippy may be getting a bit carried away, but his struggling to find any that is guaranteed to be void free.
How important is the void free characteristic?
Is all decent quality baltic birch sold in the UK likely to be sufficently void free?
TIA

Hide this!Advertise here!