Point to point crossover soldering

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Resin Core solder only for electronic work.

If the crossover is simple and the components can be supported easily by the wiring, boartds are not reallly necessary.

If this is the project we discussed-the 4 inch Cambridge mid and the nameless tweeter- what crossover did you decide on and did you make it up yourself or have it designed? If so, where?

If this is your personal project and not commercial offering I would never bother with PCB. Use a piece of MDF and hot glue and assemble all the crossover components in this way. It is also recommended that the coil orientation is 90 deg to ea. other. Use components leads for connection and you are done.

Some say that silicon is better, but it's pain when for some reason you have to change something or use parts for a different crossover. Hot glue is the best.

If for some reason you decide on PCB, this is a nice way to do it.
60,000 Mark Dynaudio Evidence Temptation. Now this components seem a bit crappy for the price.;)

Attachments

• cross.jpg
    cross.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 670
Thanks all for the replies

Kelticwizard,
I used the same tweeter, but changed to a unnamed 5" (wich I saw the SAME one on some technics speakers some days ago(the same one as in the post i did about it some days ago))
I went for first order in the XO because, I prefer using it when i can.
one thing I worried about is playing the speaker at high lvls, the tweeter's Fx is 2000 hz, and with first order, one octave down, thats 6db wich still is somehow hard on the tweeter xmax when theres high listening lvls involved. i might try a second order at same Fx, or a first order at higher Fx.

Joined 2001
Some years ago, before Ferrofluid, a lot of tweeters were rated by their manufacturers as:
2nd order crossover-2000 Hz
Ist order crossover-4000 Hz

Not such a bad guideline today, Ferrofluid or no.

PS: Try disconnecting the woofer and tweeter from the crossover. Place side-to-side. Hook the woofer up to one channel of an amp, then the tweeter to the other. Use the "Balance" control to play the tone through the woofer, then through the tweeter. Go back and forth several times. Try to judge if there is a loudness difference.

Then repeat with a 3000 Hz tone, then a 4000 Hz tone.

Just want to make sure that the tweeter is not a super efficent horn job.

Joined 2001
Here is a picture of a Peerless 811647 horn loaded soft dome tweeter. Granted, the front faceplate is flush with the opening of the horn, but still. AT 3000 Hz, the response is up around 100 dB!! I am hoping your horn tweeter does not have a response like this, in which case your crossover would have to be completely different.

Attachments

• peerless 811647 horn tweeter.gif
    peerless 811647 horn tweeter.gif
    48.3 KB · Views: 489
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.