Poor Man's Strad - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th October 2006, 05:14 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Poor Man's Strad

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/PMS.htm

I did search and found no specific thread on this design. If I missed it, please let me know and I'll delete this. Would it be better if I simply added this to the following?

Any Experience with Troels Gravesen Designs???

I just wanted to start a thread in here so that it might come up in someones' search if they had any experience with this speaker.

I am extremely interested in this design. It fits the bill of quite a few of the needs that are often described here at diyaudio, and would not be too difficult for the first time builder. Only drawback is that its aesthetic may not match the currrent trend toward slim baffles. Perhaps it only appeals to a few, but I'm definitely one of them. Every aspect about it's description encourages me.
Old 19th October 2006, 06:16 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Jim85IROC
It intrigues me also. In fact, I may build a "really poor man's strad" with Dayton Reference mid/woofers and a Seas 27TDFC or 27TBFC tweeter. I've had an idea floating around for a while with these drivers, and I may experiment with a conventional baffle and a wide baffle version to see if there are noticable audible differences.

Of course, who knows when I'll actually get around to it.
Old 20th October 2006, 02:42 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default PMS

I`ve just picked up the MDF for the cabinets and will start building as soon as work allows. I`ve been looking for an interesting project and these will definately fit the bill.
Steve.
Old 20th October 2006, 10:20 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Castlesteve - that's great. I wish I were strarting sooner than later. It's going to be a winter project for me for sure. I may start compiling a list of resources for the best buys and equivalents for the crossover parts.

I hope you and Jim85IROC and others will post occasional progress in here.
Old 20th October 2006, 10:30 PM   #5
rtenyes is offline rtenyes  United States
diyAudio Member

i too am very interested in this project. i've been trying ways to make a curve instead of the angled porton of the baffle. or rather i've been trying to come up with an EASY way to make a curve. i'm waiting for the 'final' build plan for the cabs from mr. graveson before i start...maybe...
Old 21st October 2006, 01:01 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I thought all of the final dimensions had been posted. I did notice that there is no description of the edge construction where the two "wings" come together. What's missing looks easy enough to extrapolate. Zaph describes a bend in MDF similarly. The PMS plans don't seem to indicate exactly how deep to make the slots for the bend. I imagine you could simply cut many more of them and then cut the tops and bottoms with the curve you wish them to conform to.

Do you know if Troels has indicated that more explicit plans will be posted?
Old 21st October 2006, 01:32 AM   #7
rtenyes is offline rtenyes  United States
diyAudio Member

yes, if you look at pt#4 below the 'updates' and below the 'september 23rd... you'll see;
"4. Final construction of Poor Man's Strad. Final crossover finished. Now there only the cabs left....."
Old 22nd October 2006, 05:46 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default PMS

I've got all the parts in. Will build a smooth radius, though. Troels indicated to me that this will be in his final version. Interesting what he says about "... wonder if he should stop building speakers here..."

I suppose we'll find out. If it sounds that good, Who knows, perhaps we can do a group buy of CNC cab parts?

Will post back. Good call on the thread.
Old 22nd October 2006, 06:24 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Yes. I'm at a finicky stage in my speakerbuilding education. I've built a few now, but am as yet unskilled and underconfident enought to start measuring and tweaking crossovers on my own. I want to get some experience with a few interesting and relatively simple designs before I invest in good measuring equipment and strike out more on my own. Unfortunately, with so many really excellent designs posted out there, I get spoiled and don't know where to rein in my expectations.

I was getting very close to ordering parts for Zaphs' Waveguide (I love what this waveguide seems capable of doing!) until I came across the PMS (I love what this baffle seems capable of doing!). Then I went a little further and found Troels' version of a waveguide - this time in a D'Appolito arrangement, with many of the same positive final attributes described as Zaph mentions.
Wow. Troels corrects the driver spacing problems by routering the woofer rebating in overlaps onto the waveguide. Brilliant. If only I could get Zaphs' drivers into this arrangement and integrate them into the PMS cabinet... But alas, these are the foolish thoughts of a relative neophyte. Eventually, I might branch out. For now, the PMS is an inestimable gift to the likes of me.

I cannot say enought in thanks and admiration for efforts such as those of John Krutke, Troels Gravesen and others. I know this is an arguable point, but at this point I'd rather learn by my successes, than by too many expensive mistakes. Even when (with luck) I become much more accomplished at this art/hobby, I expect that I'll still be attracted to and building the designs of others, and perhaps throwing in one or two worthwhile ones myself.
Old 22nd October 2006, 06:38 PM   #10
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/PMS.htm..

Very good looking design. I like it, my only question would be is there any bass ? as the box is open at both ends or is this box closed ?

Hide this!Advertise here!