Replace blown tweeters

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi I have an old Sony HCD-MD333 Mini System with blown tweeters. The speaker model is SS-MD333 2-way, bass reflex type and pictured here. The tweeter is a 2.5cm balanced drive.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

What do I need to know before replacing the tweeters in these speakers? Can I place any tweeter into these boxes or will I run the risk of damaging them?

Great, I was hoping any new tweeter would do the job. Is there any risk of causing damage to the system or tweeter itself if I popped a slightly more powerful one in?

They were blown in the first place because the amp was driven into clipping, so as long as you don't do that again they should be OK.

How would I avoid this problem in the future, is it just a case of not running the stereo at full tilt?

Dirge said:
Great, I was hoping any new tweeter would do the job. Is there any risk of causing damage to the system or tweeter itself if I popped a slightly more powerful one in?

How would I avoid this problem in the future, is it just a case of not running the stereo at full tilt?

A tweeter with a higher power rating is useless if the problem is caused by amp clipping. Except on certain PA systems where sound quality is of secondary importance, tweeters aren't designed to handle high levels of distortion. The smaller the amp the lower the clipping threshold, so in order to spare your drivers better keep it at a volume where there is no audible distortion.

Edit: as already mentioned above you should replace your tweeters with the same model from Sony. This is mainly because they are rear mounted on a baffle designed for those specific drivers and installing a different tweeter would be difficult at best, if at all possible. Portable/mini audio systems are definitely not tweaker friendly.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
It looks like a $6 Audax polymer dome type tweeter would glue right in there. Ask in one of those fly-by-night car audio shops. Just get the polarity right or it will sound worse than necessary. Try one before you spend big bucks from Sony. Either way, this cabinet appears easy to get inside for you to repair it yourself. Good luck.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.