diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Multi-Way (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/)
-   -   Best Loudspeaker Management System (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/88481-best-loudspeaker-management-system.html)

a007udio 18th October 2006 09:52 AM

Best Loudspeaker Management System

Hello.

I would like to buy Loudspeaker Management System for around
1000 Euros. Any recomendation what to buy.
It was looking the forum and it looks that there are many of Behringer users but do i get any advantages if i buy something "better".

Thanks.

ps: i need 2 in 6 out

mp006ltk 18th October 2006 06:25 PM

I use the DEQX, but....

i use the deqx, but if your looking to spend around 1k don't look there. i like the deqx as a tool, but I'm finding that it lacks the ultimate adge for being up there with the best pramps in the world. I have turned to using it strictly as a design tool, and then taking additional measurements with my clio system for the crossover design. The only real problems is that it doesn't allow anything lower then an 8th order crossover for optimization. Otherwise the transfer funtion has to be textbook. i think I might sell mine. I don't know, I'll have to keep playing with it.

wigginjs 18th October 2006 09:35 PM

What would you recommend instead of the DEQX?

Irakli 18th October 2006 10:59 PM

I had for quite a while DCX2496 as active three way crossover in my system. Even built 6-channel volume control to have proper input/output levels.
DCX was killing sound completely. Do not get me wrong, it is a great unit, but it was not designed for HiFi reproduction. Again, it all depends what kind of speakers you want to control.

I ended up with passive crossover (cost me fortune too, lol) for mid/hi and still using DCX for sub.

wigginjs 18th October 2006 11:49 PM

seems like there really is no "easy" active crossovers. From what I understand all of the pro-audio ones don't sound very good, the DEQX is neat but REALLY expensive, a PC based crossover is complicated to setup and also expensive if you want quality hardware, and if you want to make your own hi-fi analog active x-over you need to invest a bunch of time into constructing it, and then it isn't adjustable. Is there a (relatively) inexpensive easy solution here?

dwk123 19th October 2006 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by m0tion
a PC based crossover is complicated to setup and also expensive if you want quality hardware,

Nah - maybe it used to be, but not any more IMHO. Jan's Allocator (www.thuneau.com) is no harder to use than the PC Software for the Behringer. A good soundcard isn't free, but the Emu 1820M plus a PC plus the Allocator software is comfortably under $1k USD. Add in the 'console' VST host and the free SIR convolver if you need some FIR room eq.

This makes the most sense if you're already looking at a PC for your source, but you can easily set up the Allocator to handle incoming external analog or digital signals (although you don't get auto-detect or change of sample rates on the digital in, which may be a problem).

wunhuanglo 19th October 2006 01:16 AM

Recommend Sabine

Sabine Navigator 3600 ~ $US1000

http://www.sabine.com/

Will 19th October 2006 01:25 AM

Re: I use the DEQX, but....

Quote:

Originally posted by mp006ltk
i use the deqx, but if your looking to spend around 1k don't look there. i like the deqx as a tool, but I'm finding that it lacks the ultimate adge for being up there with the best pramps in the world. I have turned to using it strictly as a design tool, and then taking additional measurements with my clio system for the crossover design. The only real problems is that it doesn't allow anything lower then an 8th order crossover for optimization. Otherwise the transfer funtion has to be textbook. i think I might sell mine. I don't know, I'll have to keep playing with it.

I'm fairly surprised by the statement that the DEQX is not all that great. How's your setup like/ what configuration?

As for me I'm in the process of building up a system from scratch a 3 way dipole using Visaton B200 with Fauntek neo2.0cd in mtm, and visaton bgs40 in w-frame config. The mtm panel will be no larger than a Phoenix panel and will be placed on top of the w-frame dipole woofers.
Speaker management will be handled by a DriverackPA. Sources will be from a cd-rom NEC601 as a transport (built with a digital buffered output) going into a non-OS DAC with balanced output, going to a balanced TVC then driving the driverackPA.
As for amplification I have not finalized yet, but am having this crazy idea of using 2 pairs of 2A3 SET amp for the mtm, and using a KT88 push pull amp for the dipole subs.
Eventually when funds permit I'd like to upgrade the driverack to the DEQX. Hence my curiosity on your findings.

Jim Griffin 19th October 2006 03:02 AM

In Praise of DEQX

I have used my DEQX machine (preamp version) for more than 18 months and I really like what it does. My setup is to use the digital output from my universal DVD/CD player into one of the two digital inputs on the DEQX. I feed the analog outputs from the DEQX to a multichannel power amplifier (I use a 5 channel for a 2 way crossover and add another two channel amp if I go 3 way). My main application for the DEQX is to drive my line arrays.

All of the magic happens inside the DEQX--up to 3 way crossover, digital volume control, EQ, room corrections, etc. Everything that the DEQX ultimately will do is measurement based--you measure the entire path from the DEQX through the power amp, cables, and finally the speakers. I perform my speaker measurements outside to minimize any room reflections impact. The DEQX software is very powerful and enables you to achieve exceptional results. The process proceeds quickly and with minimal fuss from the user. Filter design takes only a minute or two for most cases. Finally, once you place the system in the listening room, you can make a listening position measurement and EQ to minimize room effects. Plus you can adjust the sound to satisfy your ears. All of the measurements and corrections are done with a computer attached via the USB port. Once you are happy with the results, you can download the results into your DEQX and use the box without the PC. You download 3 different calibrations into the hardware so you can try different filters or EQ and decide which one you like. You use the included remote control to select between the 4 inputs (2 analog and 2 digital) and between the different calibrations.

Bottom line the DEQX is the most powerful and useful speaker calibration tool on the market. I'm very pleased.

Jim

Will 19th October 2006 03:43 AM

Perhaps it's a matter of personal taste. Some like their equiments to be neutral sounding, some like it tasty/sweet like tubes.