Suitable midrange cone, for bandpass mid in Unity horn.

I've build a pair of unity horns, with the Celestion tf0410 and bms4550. The bass is handles from 300 down by a H frame with a Eminence alpha 15. It actually sounds great, but I'm kind of missing just a few more notes down from the horn actually. That made me thing about maybe using other mid driver for the horn.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-4-fullrange/markaudio-chp-70-gen2-natural-paper/

ofcourse the horns then need to be in a box which for me isn't really a problem.

Any suggestions?

you want the mids on the horn to play lower?
well, that driver you linked looks like it could help with that. As you noted you will need to enclose it to get that extension.

I was playing the 4 Faital Pro 4FE35's down to 200 Hz in my Synergies until I decided it integrated with the room better crossed over at 300 hz so its definitely feasible using something with a little more Xmax than the typical sealed back mid.

I've build a pair of unity horns, with the Celestion tf0410 and bms4550. The bass is handles from 300 down by a H frame with a Eminence alpha 15. It actually sounds great, but I'm kind of missing just a few more notes down from the horn actually. That made me thing about maybe using other mid driver for the horn.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-4-fullrange/markaudio-chp-70-gen2-natural-paper/

ofcourse the horns then need to be in a box which for me isn't really a problem.

Any suggestions?

TF0410 and BMS4550 is a good choice, that will cover 250Hz-20Khz nicely.

Eminence Alpha 15 is a relatively cheap driver and it's inductance might be limiting you. What do the measurements look like?

Just for my own information when using the TPL-200 where is the starting acoustic point to measure for this driver?

I am trying to figure how high can it be run with the Celestion TF0414 closed back mids.I am used to finding exit angles and what not for CD's but I am using the TPL so its new to me.

TF0410 and BMS4550 is a good choice, that will cover 250Hz-20Khz nicely.

Eminence Alpha 15 is a relatively cheap driver and it's inductance might be limiting you. What do the measurements look like?

The measurement looks like this, I crossed the mids at 300 but maybe they can go a bit lower.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-11 at 15.46.26.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-11 at 15.46.26.png
    155.8 KB · Views: 374
The measurement looks like this, I crossed the mids at 300 but maybe they can go a bit lower.

Nice response but where/what distance was the measurement taken?

Your XO to the separate woofer will affect the response at the LP, where the room intrudes. Assuming the woofer is mounted below the horn, then the lower you XO, the more floor bounce you will see from what comes out of the horn. Move the XO up and you will get less floor reflection but perhaps more sidewall reflection.

Quite happy with it. Must say that there's a lot of eq'ing going on, but I really like how they sound, I'll try crossing the mids at 250 today and see if I like it.

I just really like the unity sound an hoped I could get that same sound a bit lower.

I did build the horn from X with 2x 6 inch bass and a FRM8 wideband from visaton and a cheap compression driver with a K-tube. FRM8M who can maybe also be used, is stronger but has rubber suround, I did hear that this is not so good for this kind of horns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_fngEFf53s

But the synergy horns I do like also, and ask myself can these be small for living room because most are quite big.

Quite happy with it. Must say that there's a lot of eq'ing going on, but I really like how they sound, I'll try crossing the mids at 250 today and see if I like it.

I just really like the unity sound an hoped I could get that same sound a bit lower.

I've heard the Lambda Unity and Danley SH50 side by side. The larger waveguide of the SH50 definitely makes a difference.

Just for my own information when using the TPL-200 where is the starting acoustic point to measure for this driver?

I am trying to figure how high can it be run with the Celestion TF0414 closed back mids.I am used to finding exit angles and what not for CD's but I am using the TPL so its new to me.
Due to its odd shape I'm not sure how well that will work on a sh. That said you ought to be able to find the distance acoustically with a time locked measurement. Subtracting​ the distance time of flight from the mic tip to the driver face should get you there.

Who knows? Maybe it will work quite well!

Due to its odd shape I'm not sure how well that will work on a sh. That said you ought to be able to find the distance acoustically with a time locked measurement. Subtracting​ the distance time of flight from the mic tip to the driver face should get you there.

Who knows? Maybe it will work quite well!
Thanks Nate. I am going to give it a try after many years of not trying. Bwaslo said I should just try it out and see.

I will have to buy a better mic and then try your suggestion.

Coin slot instead frustrum for German knockoff -- meaning?

Nearly three years ago, Tom Danley mentioned here
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...-bandpass-mid-unity-horn-183.html#post4039192

About a possibly patent infringing design on the Synergy
The Dynamikks Ultima. It still shows on their web site (HOME - dynamikks).
This horn certainly bears a "family resemblance" to DSL horns, but does it infringe? I am not qualified to say. Few specs are provided on the web site, but a few might be of interest:

Mouth size 1 meter square; claimed low end at 150 Hz. But the "wrong" port size is of interest: what is better or worse, if one uses a "line segment" port, and constant distance to throat, in place of the frustrum of DSL?

I am just a layman here, not even versed in the sim software, but it seems to me that, if the distances are correct, that diffraction would not be an issue with a very narrow gap. What is worse about using a coin slot for a port :) ?