Suitable midrange cone, for bandpass mid in Unity horn.

The extra thickness of the adapter is trouble for the mid driver's offset entry location and depth.
Other than that detail, no problem :).

Good point! Nice thing is, nothing is written in stone here. Won´t send anything for printing before I have a full model. I am just waiting for somebody in the thread to agree on the perfect midrange driver. :)

The normal distance from CD to straight horn is 51.5mm, plus the 27mm (rough guess from drawings i have seen of the DE250), and that would equate to a quarter-wave frequency of 1100. Should be high enough for this not to become an issue, right, since the cancellation will be somewhere between quarter-wave and half-wave?

I can´t seem to figure out a way to attach the adapter to the wooden section without gluing it forever though. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Faital HF146 Parameters

Hi Guys.

So, while I'm waiting for the package from Faital to arrive, I got them to advance some T/S parameters along with (what I think is) the acoustic path length.

From Faital:

Please find here the following information:

Re=5.5 Ohm
BxL= 9 Tm

Data got by measuring impedance curve:
Qes= 1
Qms= 7.5
fs= 530 Hz

Distance from the exit phase plug driver in the mouth: 17mm
Distance from membrane-mouthed driver 36.5mm"

Do I interpret the 36.5mm as being the acoustic path length?

/Thomas

Last edited:
Coverage angle

Hi guys.

I'm trying to figure out which coverage angle will be optimum for my listening room.

How do you guys determine the best coverage angle?

I've made a sketch of my living room with a pair of 90 degree horizontal dispersion Synergies'

Should I perhaps choose a narrower horizontal coverage angle (80 degrees) toeing slightly outward, bringing me closer to the forward axis?

/Thomas

Attachments

• Stue.jpg
    Stue.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 435
That is a fine point. Best is likely a matter of taste and experience guiding tradeoffs. Sitting too far back from the crossing of the axes of the horns shouldn't be a problem for the centrally seated listener but might be for someone seated to the side . 90 vs 80 degrees is 5 degrees difference in the horn wall half angle. tan(5) is 0.3 m/3.5m. This might mean the sweet spot increases by that much on each side or it may mean the listeners on the side must be at least .3m from the walls or both! Problem is the 80 degree horn will be significantly deeper...

Thanks nc!

Since I'm the only "real" audiophile in the family probably means that I won't have to fight for the sweet spot:D

Horn depth is not an issue, since I'm the one wearing the pants in this family:whazzat:

I'm still waiting the Faital package to arrive (Faital HF-146 + a pair of 8FE200)

The acoustic path length of the HF-146 pretty much determines the coverage angle, which will be somewhere between 80 and 90 degrees.

/Thomas

Hi guys.

I'm trying to figure out which coverage angle will be optimum for my listening room.

How do you guys determine the best coverage angle?

I've made a sketch of my living room with a pair of 90 degree horizontal dispersion Synergies'

Should I perhaps choose a narrower horizontal coverage angle (80 degrees) toeing slightly outward, bringing me closer to the forward axis?

/Thomas

IMHO the most compelling reason to narrow the angle is that it raises the output level in the octave from 1-2khz. And that simplifies getting the midranges to 'meet' the tweeter.

I documentd that with some illustrations and hornresp sims a few months back on this forum. Can't recall if it was this thread.

The acoustic path length of the HF-146 pretty much determines the coverage angle, which will be somewhere between 80 and 90 degrees.
Thomas,

I don't get that statement, you could make the horn any beamwidth you want, though a 5 degree horn with pattern control down to 400 Hz might still be too long even for your pants ;).

Realistically, anything from 40 to 100 degrees would be no problem.

IMHO the most compelling reason to narrow the angle is that it raises the output level in the octave from 1-2khz. And that simplifies getting the midranges to 'meet' the tweeter.

I documentd that with some illustrations and hornresp sims a few months back on this forum. Can't recall if it was this thread.

Thank you for your input, John-Patrick!

Since I'm doing a 2-way (SH-95 style) I will be aiming at a crossover in the region 700-800Hz.

/Thomas

Thomas,

I don't get that statement

By narrowing the coverage angle, I'll have to push the mids further down the horn in relation to the tap-in area. This may sacrifice the half-wave criteria in relation to the CD, i.e: if the CD's acoustic path length is very long, this only leaves little distance for the mids. By choosing a wider angle enables you to push the mids closer to the CD!

...you could make the horn any beamwidth you want, though a 5 degree horn with pattern control down to 400 Hz might still be too long even for your pants ;)

You're right, and even our garden can't accomodate a 50m horn with 295m^2 mouth:eek:

/Thomas

Last edited:
Oddly enough, I've never heard a Synergy Horn.
I think I need to remedy that - just noticed that there's a local company that rents them:

Audio Equipment | Nexo Line Array Speakers, EV Speakers, etc. | Special Event Audio Services

Thought I'd post that, since it's in our back yard

Once you hear a properly set up Synergy there is no going back. I recommend the SH46 or SM60F. The Synergy's intelligibility smokes everything I've ever heard. Because they are PA speakers, they can be a little hot in the high frequencies. I recommend they be EQed down a little bit in the highs. That's why I stressed "properly" set up part at the beginning.

Possible. The one thing you want to find out is what the suspension compliance is. If the suspension compliance is too low (too stiff), then it can be difficult to get the mid to turn off after the 1/4 wave cancellation notch. The Misco RDC3T-A has just enough suspension compliance to work, anything less compliant would makes things very difficult for you. The suspension compliance of the RDC3T-A is about 3.3E-05m/N

Once you hear a properly set up Synergy there is no going back. I recommend the SH46 or SM60F. The Synergy's intelligibility smokes everything I've ever heard. Because they are PA speakers, they can be a little hot in the high frequencies. I recommend they be EQed down a little bit in the highs. That's why I stressed "properly" set up part at the beginning.

the SM60F looks good for home use, simple build.

FS 1000HZ

I know we are targeting a crossover around 1-2K to compression driver in most designs, what freq would a driver like this cover in a synergy/unity design. Most mids I have seen have a 400-700Hz FS. I do understand some that the horn will "load" the driver some and also effects the freq?

Steve

Last edited:
FS 1000HZ

I know we are targeting a crossover around 1-2K to compression driver in most designs, what freq would a driver like this cover in a synergy/unity design. Most mids I have seen have a 400-700Hz FS. I do understand some that the horn will "load" the driver some and also effects the freq?

Steve

The local area flare rate plays the biggest role in how low the mids will play. Mids with higher compliance combined with very pronounced resonance can override this to a degree. Mids with lower compliance and well behaved resonance pretty much take on whatever the local flare rate is. This is covered in the Synergy patent.

Parts Express is replacing the defective DE120 compression driver no questions asked. Great customer service. However, they are on back order and will take about two weeks to come in. One thing to be aware of is the mounting screw size on the data sheet is wrong. The mounting screws are M5 and not M6 as shown on the data sheet. Funny enough, the mechanical drawing file has the screws correctly marked as M5. Time to reorder new screws. :rolleyes: