Suitable midrange cone, for bandpass mid in Unity horn. - Page 64 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th November 2012, 11:46 AM   #631
Pallas is offline Pallas  Pakistan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
I know there's a lot of people reading this thread that don't have the time to build a synergy horn, or the space that's required to get it to play down to 300hz. Here's an alternative you might consider:

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

This is the satellite from a KEF KHT1005. Here's a list of reasons you might consider it in lieu of a Synergy horn:

1) after screwing around with Unity horns for over half a decade, I'm convinced that their fundamental goodness has little to do with their efficiency, and a LOT to do with the near-perfect transition from midrange to tweeter. Basically a Unity/Synergy horn fools our brain into thinking it's one wide-bandwidth driver.
2) Once you hear this done properly, conventional two-ways will never sound the same; I can't listen to a conventional two-way without *immediately* knowing that something is wrong. Literally the second I walk into a room.
3) The KEF UNI-Q isn't perfect, but it has a LOT of the Unity goodness. I think this is due to (you guessed it) the near-perfect transition from midrange to tweeter. This is especially notable on vocals and percussion.
FWIW, I've had a quad of those baby KEF eggs for quite some time. Three of them are going to end up in my CitroŽn at some point. (One spare.) They're fairly smooth-sounding, though they get nasal if pushed.

For those who can fit it, KEF's slightly larger 3005 egg is a lot better. The midrange is cleaner, and the treble is a lot better due to the radial phase plug and possibly just better tweeter design. The raw driver isn't that expensive to buy from Speaker exchange, either.

The new Q100 driver is better still, but much larger. (Bigger diameter, and MUCH bigger motor structure because it's ferrite rather than neo.)

And I agree, midrange mushroom cloud polar response (as found on that Focal) is very obvious, and very annoying.
Old 30th November 2012, 04:12 AM   #632
diyAudio Member

John (Patrick John, not John-John), Tried to send you a pm, your box is full.
Old 30th November 2012, 05:20 AM   #633
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau View Post
John (Patrick John, not John-John), Tried to send you a pm, your box is full.
fixed!
Old 6th December 2012, 11:08 AM   #634
diyAudio Member

Ha, its full again.
Anyway, these specs sound ok?
Fs 74hz
Spl 95db
Qes. 25
Accordian surround
Old 12th December 2012, 05:09 PM   #635
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau View Post
Ha, its full again.
Anyway, these specs sound ok?
Fs 74hz
Spl 95db
Qes. 25
Accordian surround
yes, very good. What is it?
Old 12th December 2012, 05:13 PM   #636
diyAudio Member

Over on the hornresp thread, a forum member from Amsterdam noted that you can import data from Hornresp into FRD tools.

This is very very helpful, especially if you don't want to hassle with Akabak. And even if you *do* know Akabak, I think that the FRD tools are faster to use, because it's time consuming to create a complex model in Akabak.

Here's some things you could do with this:

1) You can model the offset midranges in a Unity/Synergy horn, and include a high pass
2) You can do funky variations of a synergy horn, like a Synergy horn with a 'peaky' vent and a highpass to tame that peak. (As JLH noted about a year back in this thread, the Danley SH50 uses a vented box for the woofers with an unconventional alignment.)
3) You can model tapped horns with a highpass to lower excursion and a low pass to filter out the top end

very very cool

Click the image to open in full size.[/img]

Here's a screen cap of a Paraline modeled in hornresp and export to Bagby's passive xover designer

instructions are in the hornresp thread
Old 12th December 2012, 07:23 PM   #637
winslow is offline winslow  United States
diyAudio Member

Does it pull over the correct phase too? Or is that extracted from the impedence file?
Old 12th December 2012, 08:49 PM   #638
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winslow View Post
Does it pull over the correct phase too? Or is that extracted from the impedence file?
The phase of the loudspeaker amplitude is in the FRD file, and the phase of the loudspeaker impedance is in the ZMA file.

When i get a chance I'll have to sim some of my existing designs using this, as I typically just used a first order xover and adjusted the components until the output was reasonably flat. If you check out some of videos on youtube, you'll notice that the frequency response is kinda rough, due to my crude xovers. (I *hate* working on xovers; it's a lot more fun to build loudspeakers than xovers.)
Old 12th December 2012, 09:01 PM   #639
winslow is offline winslow  United States
diyAudio Member

You can copy everything with SPLtrace, covert the data and use it in lspcad pro...that's how I did the passives for my old micro unities. But I do like Jeff's program a little bit better. I never (or don't remember) modeled my unity in PCD.

Oh, I remember why I didn't use PCD...the SPL divisions weren't fine enough when you put it over to the highest SPL settings. But in hindsight, I could have relabeled the divisions in SPLtrace a different value to bring them down to a "normal" range.

I loved the challenge of doing the passives. And I re-read the Unity stuff again and found more info that I missed the first time that would have probably gotten even better results. Big shout out the JLH for the pointers. I am debating on doing passives or active for the next setup...really need in car measurements to do it right.

Still not sure which way to go...been posting little on your site.
Old 12th December 2012, 10:39 PM   #640
diyAudio Member

PHL2411 Over on Zalytron.com

A pair for $139.00, Cheap!!

Hide this!Advertise here!