Suitable midrange cone, for bandpass mid in Unity horn. - Page 61 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th August 2012, 04:28 PM   #601
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubs View Post
Guys, has anyone directly compared the Misco JC5RTF-B (supplied with the original Unity) with the Pyle PDMR5 for sound quality?

The Pyle is really cheap, but just wondering if you're "paying for it" with lesser sound quality.

Thanks,
Jim
I was running the Misco in my car for a couple days, and the surround came off. It's been in the 90s lately, and I'm guessing that the heat made the surround seperate from the cone.

The Misco *sounds* a lot louder than the Pyle, but my hunch is that it's mostly because the Misco cone is untreated, so it's high frequencies are louder.

Long story short - the Pyle works pretty darn good. If I had to do it over again I'd probably stick with it instead of buying both the Misco and the Pyle. And if I was the owner of a set of Lambda Unity horns, I'd take a look at the surrounds to be sure that they're intact.
Old 14th August 2012, 01:11 AM   #602
diyAudio Member

I've heard the original Unity with misco drivers and Pyle PDMR5, albeit in different systems. If there are differences in sound it isn't obvious. They might appear in a close side by side comparison, but there's nothing I could point out right now. The real difference is in build quality. The Pyle is quite obviously cheap. The Celestion that Roger mentions is much better built and I've found that to be true with all their drivers I've used. With the Pyle, the terminals feel like they are about to break off when you bend them, so you have to be careful and gentle, using pointy nose pliers being careful not to apply any pressure to the join. The surrounds are half roll foam which is unfortunate for long term stability and not a good choice for a midrange driver, where an accordion surround better controls cone breakup. So I would say if you want a good one to experiment with, go Pyle. Misco is a better one for long term use. Better still would be the Celestion which has what I consider to be the ideal mix.
Old 14th August 2012, 07:17 PM   #603
drlowmu is offline drlowmu  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Visaton M 10 4" midrange

I was just quoted a price of $21 per driver, on a single driver basis. The USA Visaton dealer is checking on what constitutes a box, and what quantity discount structures would be. Stay tuned, and I will post as more information is obtained.

If anyone has a better idea on how to go about this, please PM me. One good thing, there are Visaton distributors world-wide.

Jeff Medwin
Old 14th August 2012, 08:26 PM   #604
bwaslo is offline bwaslo  United States
diyAudio Member

Who did you get the quote from? I'd like to check into these, also.
Old 14th August 2012, 11:33 PM   #605
JLH is offline JLH  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaslo View Post
Who did you get the quote from? I'd like to check into these, also.
Welcome to E-Speakers.com - Very High End Loudspeaker Components
Old 15th August 2012, 03:14 AM   #606
diyAudio Member

Default Quote Visaton M10 8 Ohm

Here is the scivvy so far,

In the USA, e-speakers.com is the sales agent. I told them I was volunteering for this entire group, so we speak with one voice.

They tell me this 4 inch is a new speaker, and they do not stock it yet. It is currently available at a $21.10 unit price-which is retail, and takes 20 days to get, since they have no stock in the USA. They are looking into what would be quantity pricing for us, and when they find out what that is, they will contact me and I promise to promptly post up here.

I did not try to go to Visaton Germany direct. The Visaton agents on different continents may take care of individual's needs on a world-wide basis, IF we ever deem this driver advisable.

Since this driver is JLH's baby : I suspect (a) we need to get him some, (b) (IF he has the time and interest to test these), and (c) he personally feels it might be cost effective

As you may recall from his previous postings, his Miscos he bought had a problem shutting off on the top end, and he had to resort to extra parts, compensation networks, to make it behave. I assume he would weigh the implementation of the new Visaton, hopefully with no "extra" crossover parts, versus the Miscos with added crossover parts. Just a guess.

A three-way Synergy with passive crossovers should likely NOT have the same midrange driver requirement, as the very nice design Paul Spencer optimized as a two-way Synergy with active digital crossovers.

As previously stated, if anyone has suggestions on how to interact with Visaton, in a better manner than what I have initiated, please PM me !!

Thanks and regards,

Jeff Medwin
Old 27th August 2012, 02:37 AM   #607
bwaslo is offline bwaslo  United States
diyAudio Member

Apparently Parts Express is now a Visaton dealer? Maybe we can get them from them.
Old 27th August 2012, 05:00 AM   #608
diyAudio Member

Default Visaton M 10 4" midrange

I spoke with e-speakers last week, and the proprietor told me he would "get back to me" after he THINKS about how to handle our group.

Realize, this is JLH's baby, and there is not yet a large need for group purchases of these, until JLH determines if it is worth doing. Some here, I imagine, would LOVE to build an all-JLH designed Synergy. But JLH is unusually busy at work. The first eight may need to go to JLH to measure.

If you also immediately want eight, let me know and I will include you! Or, we can coordinate and you can do as you please. Just keep me informed please, for the sake of this group.

Thanks for posting about Parts Express. Excellent. I will contact them , early this week, and report back. It would be nice for end-users, the customers, to have multiple Visaton dealers in the USA, IF we use the drivers over other choices.

More to follow, anyone can PM me if you have questions, advice to offer, etc.

Jeff Medwin

Last edited by drlowmu; 27th August 2012 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Corrected wording
Old 2nd September 2012, 10:03 PM   #609
diyAudio Member

Default Confirmed, Parts Exprees is a new Distributor for Visaton

Parts Express announced this on the web, on 8-24-12. See this:

Visaton, now at Parts Express!!

It looks like they have 14 Visaton listed items so far. I will call them after Labor Day holiday in behalf of this group, and will report back.

Jeff Medwin
Old 4th September 2012, 01:04 PM   #610
SunRa is offline SunRa  Romania
diyAudio Member

Hi, any ideas if this one could get to 300Hz in a Unity horn? I recall considering this driver when all the good midrange choices for unity seemed to be available in US only but I then forgot about it as I thought the fs is to high.

Thanks!

Hide this!Advertise here!