Suitable midrange cone, for bandpass mid in Unity horn. - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th January 2010, 07:43 PM   #51
JLH is offline JLH  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
I didn't say that it was the Fs that matters, I said it was the Fb

And Fb is dependent on Qes.

So I think we agree.
True, I see what you are saying now. BTW, I think I might have unearthed a real gem. Drop me a measage or e-mail. We need to talk. See teaser picture.

Rgs, JLH
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RDC3T-A.jpg (24.0 KB, 835 views)
Old 13th January 2010, 01:14 AM   #52
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLH View Post
True, I see what you are saying now. BTW, I think I might have unearthed a real gem. Drop me a measage or e-mail. We need to talk. See teaser picture.

Rgs, JLH
The T/S parameters for the above 3" sealed back midrange. Even with the high Fb, it is solid down to 420Hz and it's high end is only limited to how close you can get it to the compression driver. With a slot port instead of the typical round port, you should be able to place it right at the compression driver exit on the waveguide.

Sd=29.22cm2
Bl=1.37Tm
Cms=6.87E-05m/N
Rms=0.33Ns/m
fs=1275Hz
Le=0.57mH
Re=7.38ohm
ExpoLe=0.618
Old 13th January 2010, 04:45 PM   #53
el`Ol is offline el`Ol  Germany
diyAudio Member

Before using cheapo sealed back midranges, could one use cheapo phenolic compression drivers for paging horns instead? Visaton use one in a serious design (not highend of course).
Old 14th January 2010, 02:17 AM   #54
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by el`Ol View Post
Before using cheapo sealed back midranges, could one use cheapo phenolic compression drivers for paging horns instead? Visaton use one in a serious design (not highend of course).
I suppose you could try to use phenolic compression drivers. However, it would present several problems. The first problem is how are you going to get the 1 exit to interface with the entrance ports into the waveguide? The second and most serious problem is the complete lack of T/S parameters. Without simulation software and a solid set of parameters you will be shooting in the dark. Due to the very specific set of requirements to make a Unity/Synergy work trial and error is no way to go. On the other hand, it is these very specific requirements that lend their selves to inexpensive sealed back drivers. These drivers have exactly the needed parameters to work well in Unity/Synergy horns. In this case price and performance are not indicators of each other.

Rgs, JLH
Old 14th January 2010, 06:02 AM   #55
diyAudio Member

For the compression driver: I meant closing the front, removing the back and use it reversed, but...
Isn't a bandpass something that needs some excursion? This one has 3 mm, but $$$.
http://www.ciare.com/pdf/catalogo/US0720N04.PDF
Maybe there are plenty of similar drivers in the car sector.

Last edited by el`Ol; 14th January 2010 at 06:31 AM.
Old 14th January 2010, 08:17 AM   #56
diyAudio Member

I calculated the Qes of the Ciare: 2.2
So the EBP is 227.
Old 14th January 2010, 08:53 AM   #57
diyAudio Member

The motor of the 8 Ohm home version is much weaker. As Bl is the same they seem to have used the same magnet and the same number of windings, just with thinner wire, so this version can be ruled out.

Last edited by el`Ol; 14th January 2010 at 09:14 AM.
Old 14th January 2010, 10:57 AM   #58
diyAudio Member

Why go through all this trouble when you can simply bolt on a $6 sealed back midrange? In the case of this 3" sealed midrange, the low frequency limit will be above 400Hz, which doesn't require much if any Xmax. Danley uses four of the Celestion TF0410MR 4" sealed back midranges on several of the newer Synergy horns to the tune of 141dB with 2800 Watts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TF0410MR.JPG (104.2 KB, 832 views)
File Type: jpg SH-46.JPG (125.3 KB, 802 views)
Old 16th March 2010, 12:58 AM   #59
diyAudio Member

How about the Goldwood GM85 or GM65 sealed mids from PE? They are avaliable in 8 and 4 ohms.
Old 16th March 2010, 10:27 PM   #60
seanny is offline seanny  United States
diyAudio Member

Any updates?

Hide this!Advertise here!