Suitable midrange cone, for bandpass mid in Unity horn.

worth to note that what may appear like foam surround could well be coated cloth
several small Visaton are ;)
if not specificly saying foam or rubber on Visaton site, I take it they are coated cloth surround

weird sitting here looking for smooth response curves on cheap 10EUR drivers :clown:

I e-mailed Visaton about several of their speakers. All of the FR and FRS series are foam or rubber surrounds. See below e-mail response from Visaton. I do fully investigate every speaker that shows it might be promising for a Synergy project.

Dear Mr. Hasquin,

many thanks for your inquiry.

The surround of FR 8 and FRS 7 is made of foam, at FRS 8 and FRS 8 M it’s made of rubber.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Francois Tappert

VISATON GmbH & Co. KG
LAUTSPRECHER

B.Sc. Francois Tappert
Technik / Technics

VISATON GmbH & Co. KG
Ohligser Str. 29–31
42781 Haan – Germany
Tel. +49 2129 552-47
Fax +49 2129 552-49
E-Mail: technik@visaton.com

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
ah, looks like some of these drivers have been changed
SpectrumAudio Germany is listing old model with cloth surround

I suspect all models previously available with cloth surround have been replaced by 'revised' model
also explains why some of the response curves shown on SpectrumAudio site looks different

sorry about that ... a misunderstanding

(I will take a look at some of the many small Peerless fullrange)

It won't turn off

I'm having a hard time getting the highs to turn off after the first cancellation.
What is the right port adjusting procedure? It seems that when I gain a little succes turning of the high frequency a smidgeon, I loose the gain in the middle:confused:

/Thomas

Attachments

• NoTurnOff.PNG
    NoTurnOff.PNG
    44.8 KB · Views: 486
ah, looks like some of these drivers have been changed
SpectrumAudio Germany is listing old model with cloth surround

I suspect all models previously available with cloth surround have been replaced by 'revised' model
also explains why some of the response curves shown on SpectrumAudio site looks different

sorry about that ... a misunderstanding

(I will take a look at some of the many small Peerless fullrange)

The change in surround does not surprise me. If I had to guess, foam and rubber are probably less expensive to manufacture.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
yeah, and who wants cloth surround these days anyway ;)

that said, and I know your dislike of rubber surround for this design ... but

considering the driver size, on some of these very small drivers the rubbber surround also appear to be very small
would at least be positive if its small, right ?

yeah, and who wants cloth surround these days anyway ;)

that said, and I know your dislike of rubber surround for this design ... but

considering the driver size, on some of these very small drivers the rubbber surround also appear to be very small
would at least be positive if its small, right ?

There is nothing stopping you from trying. As challenging the Synergy horn is I prefer to stick with what I know has the better chance of succeeding. I want a speaker that will last a life time without having to worry about when the surrounds will fail.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
oh, I like your driver choise, the Visaton M10, absolutely ;)

how much do you estimate the power handling will go down when used below its Fs ?
but with high system SPL/sensitivity, probably still got plenty of headroom left

funny driver btw
Tang Band W2-748SG 2" Full Range Driver 264-861

but I need to focus more on power handling for my bass guitar speaker
over and out

cheers :up:

oh, I like your driver choise, the Visaton M10, absolutely ;)

how much do you estimate the power handling will go down when used below its Fs ?
but with high system SPL/sensitivity, probably still got plenty of headroom left

funny driver btw
Tang Band W2-748SG 2" Full Range Driver 264-861

but I need to focus more on power handling for my bass guitar speaker
over and out

cheers :up:

Most of the time the mids only receive a few watts at ear splitting levels. Power handling is not something you need to worry about most of the time. I focus more on the air velocity of the mids ports. I adjust the port size and length to keep the air velocity below 17 m/s at my desired SPL output level, or power input level. The crossover will also greatly reduce the mid port velocities, and increase power handling.

What I'm looking at the moment is a 3-way Synergy using all easily obtained drivers from Parts Express. This has not be possible until they expanded the products they carry.

Looking at a 75 degree by 45 degree coverage angle using the following drivers:

B&C Speakers DE120 --> B&C DE120 1" Neodymium Mylar Compression Driver 8 Ohm 2/3-Bo 294-5809

Visaton M10 --> Visaton M 10 4" Cone Midrange Driver 8 Ohm 292-594

Eminence Delta-10B --> Eminence Delta-10B 10" Midrange Driver 16 Ohm 290-413

I'll use 4 of the Visaton M10s and 2 of the Eminence Delta-10Bs. I want to make sure I can maintain an 8 ohm impedance. Anybody that has looked at the Synergy horns may have noticed a lot of them drop below 4 ohms. Since I use tube amplifiers, I need better impedance behavior.

I'm assuming the choice of 75 X 45 has something to do with getting the Visatons to fit relatively close to the throat?

With smaller midranges would you not prefer to go 60 X 40 - whenever possible?

/Thomas

The closer you get the mids to the compression driver, the smaller the cross sectional area is that you tap into. You can run into problems getting the mids to "turn off" when you operate the mid into a small cross sectional area. You will get much higher horn gain at frequencies where the circumference is longer than one wavelength. So let's say you tap into the horn where the area is only 20cm^2. The circumference of 20cm^2 is 15.85cm. This is equal to one wavelength at 2161Hz. Therefore, you will get very high horn gain at frequencies of 2161Hz or lower. Gain will increase as frequency goes down because the wave is acoustically large in relation to the physical horn area. If you wanted to crossover at 1200Hz, this would make "turning off" the mid more difficult.

The above has to do with how I go about selecting the coverage angles of a horn design. You have to balance coverage with what is realistic to build. I would love to build a 60 X 40 Synergy, but with small drivers you start to run into some construction problems. Many of which I am uncomfortable with the required compromises. Just because I feel like I have a good understanding how Synergy horns work, doesn't mean they are any easier for me to build them. I struggle just like everyone else on this forum.