Suitable midrange cone, for bandpass mid in Unity horn. - Page 55 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th March 2012, 12:10 AM   #541
winslow is offline winslow  United States
diyAudio Member

US Patent number 7316290 might be of some interest for you.
Old 18th March 2012, 07:51 PM   #542
diyAudio Member

[font=verdana]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boris81 View Post
What do you guys think about building a faux-axial waveguide for the BG Neo8?
The high sensitivity, low distortion and extended response make it a great candidate.
Attachment 272349
my thoughts here

Taming the NEO8 - DIYMA.com - Scientific Car Audio - Truth in Sound Quality
Old 18th March 2012, 07:54 PM   #543
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boris81 View Post
I can't get over how well that faux-axial horn sounds.
I've listened to it all weekend.

The good:

The speaker has incredible resolution. It's particularly noticeable on vocals - you can hear things buried in the mix like never before. Very articulate. All the things you like about a Unity.

The bad:
There's some kind of a suckout. I haven't measured it, but there are some frequencies that just aren't there. Power handling isn't very good. It's not very efficient.

I'm not ready to go back to the drawing board just yet; I think this could be promising if it used a driver with higher efficiency and better power handling. (hint hint NEO8)
Old 18th March 2012, 08:27 PM   #544
Pallas is offline Pallas  Pakistan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
It looks to me like you're going in a direction that's basically going to end in a planar variant of the Quad ESL-63.
Old 18th March 2012, 09:58 PM   #545
boris81 is offline boris81  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I've listened to it all weekend.

The good:

The speaker has incredible resolution. It's particularly noticeable on vocals - you can hear things buried in the mix like never before. Very articulate. All the things you like about a Unity.

The bad:
There's some kind of a suckout. I haven't measured it, but there are some frequencies that just aren't there. Power handling isn't very good. It's not very efficient.

I'm not ready to go back to the drawing board just yet; I think this could be promising if it used a driver with higher efficiency and better power handling. (hint hint NEO8)
I'm guessing that high frequencies from the cone are interfering with the ones from the dust cap. There should be some mechanism to attenuate high frequencies from the cone, maybe some absorbing felt, or a clever tunning of the side ports to act as low pass filters. Sound coming out of the side ports should be low passed at 1/4wavelength of the port distance. Measurements will be able to tell a lot.
Old 21st March 2012, 07:26 PM   #546
diyAudio Member

Quote:
For comparison's sake, here's one of my car audio Unity horns. (Not a good one - or finished.)
johnny cash on unity horn (in a corner).mp4 - YouTube

Here's a JBL array, playing the same song, to give this some context.
3 driver full range-2.mp4 - YouTube
I received an email asking about how to build the underdash Unity horn that's in the video above.

Later this week I'll take a few minutes to post proper dimensions.

Here's some info to get you started:

The crossover is totally basic; it's literally two resistors and a capacitor. The midrange drivers aren't crossed at all. A few hours with a microphone and a copy of Arta would work wonders for this thing.

One nice thing I've noticed about the Unity horns is that they're fairly forgiving of crappy crossovers. For instance, if you're trying to do a crossover from a midrange in your car door to a tweeter in the A-Pillar, the xover can be a real nightmare. This is due to the huge distance between the two drivers, the fact that they have different polar response, and you're listening to them off-axis. A Unity horn, oddly enough, is a bit forgiving because the drivers are so darn close together.

This isn't to say that a good crossover isn't important - it's VERY important - just to say that kludgey Unity horns sound surprisingly good.

In the video, you can clearly hear the most challenging part of the design, which is that miserable suckout between the compression driver and the woofers. Which is how this whole thread started, five years ago!

[/font]
Old 22nd March 2012, 01:14 AM   #547
whoever is offline whoever  United States
diyAudio Member

Patrick thank you, my offer still stands with you from over at DIYMA, The pyles are out of stock, however I purchased a pair of the CDX1.
Old 22nd March 2012, 01:55 AM   #548
diyAudio Member

I have a wholesale account at PE and no one takes my up on saving a couple of dollars using it.

I got my proof of concept micro unity playing with a pair of Misco 3s and a B&C DE5 on it...wow. That DE5 is such a nice driver. Miscos are no slouch either. Low level detail is amazing. I can find the limits of the Miscos fairly easy but I don't remember how low they are crossed. And I need to figure out how to get 2 more on each horn. I haven' reEQed anything yet but there is a lot of potential there.

Looking like the XO point is right around 5k between the Miscos and DE5s.
Old 22nd March 2012, 08:03 PM   #549
JLH is offline JLH  United States
diyAudio Member

That is really a bit high of a crossover frequency. When working with wavelengths that short, it is almost impossible to get phase alignment between the comp driver and mids correct. I know looking at the impedance sweep of the DE5 on the B&C website makes you want to cross it at 5KHz, but it just makes everything so much more difficult for your crossover and mid placement. You can still contour the impedance of the DE5 within the crossover, so I'd try to cross lower. If possible try to get it down to at least 2KHZ or 2.5KHz.

There are several things that can be done to increase the power handling of the RDC3T-A on a Unity. I have one Akabak model where the excursion of the RDC3T-A is only 0.2mm with an input of 24Vrms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winslow View Post
I have a wholesale account at PE and no one takes my up on saving a couple of dollars using it.

I got my proof of concept micro unity playing with a pair of Misco 3s and a B&C DE5 on it...wow. That DE5 is such a nice driver. Miscos are no slouch either. Low level detail is amazing. I can find the limits of the Miscos fairly easy but I don't remember how low they are crossed. And I need to figure out how to get 2 more on each horn. I haven' reEQed anything yet but there is a lot of potential there.

Looking like the XO point is right around 5k between the Miscos and DE5s.
Old 22nd March 2012, 09:02 PM   #550
diyAudio Member

Thanks John! Been meaning to email, haven't forgotten...dad had a knee replacement last week and I spent all weekend getting their yard mowed and stuff taken care of for him.

I am thinking of making the ports larger too...right now they are 3/8ths of an inch x4 since two mids.

Hide this!Advertise here!