Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th March 2012, 05:35 PM   #531
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLH View Post
Sometimes I wish I could throw things together like you do. I'm just too analytical and can't bring myself to do it. Only if I could half-a$$ things half as good as you. I commend you on your abilities to knock out quick prototypes for testing. Its more efficient than making it all nice and pretty then have it fail anyway.
Thanks!

One thing that's absolutely KILLING my progress lately is the lack of a good way to do measurements. I used to have a PC running 24x7 in the garage, and that gave me the ability to do measurements in a matter of seconds. Literally turn on the monitor, hit the button on Arta, and *voila*, I was done.

The stupid PC crashed though - all the dust is murder on the moving parts.

I keep telling myself that I'll figure out a faster way to do measurements; but I'll probably just have to break down and build another dedicated PC for it.

It's such a p.i.t.a, because it seems completely wasteful to dedicate an entire PC to something so trivial.

But the alternative is to use my laptop, and that means I'd have to spend 30 minutes plugging in cables, setting levels, double checking, etc... Just to make a measurement that takes less than a minute.

Old 16th March 2012, 05:48 PM   #532
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Sheerin View Post
Join the club... I've got all these great drivers sitting around that just need some horns made for them, but it takes me forever to get around to making them anymore. Currently I'm rationalizing this as just needing a better dust collector and enclosure on my cnc router so it doesn't coat my garage in saw dust when I use it, but that's yet another project. It's a vicious cycle.
You could have me make your horns for far less money than a better dust collector and enclosure for your cnc router, I don't mind sawdust in my shop.

I could even lighten your driver load in trade for horns .

Seriously, if any one has a design they want to pursue, but for whatever reason can't DIY, I'm available to prototype, measure and do the tweaking needed for a relatively low cost.

Art
Old 16th March 2012, 06:07 PM   #533
JLH is offline JLH  United States
diyAudio Member

Here is the phase response of the Unity script Iíve been working on for the RDC3T-A. The spikes in the high frequency range are reflections coming off of something. Iíll figure that out later. Pretty pleased with the simulation results so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rdc3ta_phase.JPG (60.6 KB, 403 views)
Old 16th March 2012, 06:18 PM   #534
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the offer, but I just need to suck it up and make some horns. I've actually had a pair of LeCleac'h horns cut for several years now and just need to finish sanding them. I've been working on a cabinet for a JBL 2245 to sit one of them on top of, but I've got too many other projects going at the same time. Eventually I'd like to do another unity horn as well to take advantage of some of the better drivers everybody's finding here.
Old 16th March 2012, 07:02 PM   #535
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLH View Post
Since I couldn't get that Celestion 4", I went for the Misco RDC3T-A. It works damn well from what I've done with them so far. The best thing about them is that they were originally designed as a tweeter so once horn loaded they present a nearly resistive impedance. This makes it easier to use in a Synergy horn because you don't have to worry about its resonance screwing up the lower end frequency response. Its low end response is then purely controlled by the local area of expansion (i.e. local flare rate). I ordered a half case of them (30) and tested them all after breaking them in for 48 hours. Below are the overall average T/S parameters. The only way to come up with Vas was to use the sensitivity method with Smith & Larson Speaker Tester.

Click the image to open in full size.

Fs = 1240Hz
Re = 7.76 ohms
Qes = 6.5631
Qms = 4.9345
Qts = 2.7557
Le = 0.4587 mH
Vas = 0.0559 L
Bl = 3.36
Cms = 3.36E-05
Rms = 0.77
Sd = 34.21 sq cm
My woofer tester wouldn't give me a proper measurement of the Goldwood GT-25, so I had to chop one up to figure out it's parameters. If you use my parameters in hornresp, be sure to add a back chamber, which will raise the FS and QTS to match the sealed back parameters.

Fs = 448Hz
Re = 7.19 ohms
Qes = 8.02
Qms = 8.51
Qts = 4.13(!)
Le = 0.38 mH
Vas = 0.06 L (guesstimate based on JLH's measurements of the similar Misco)
Sd = 39.59 sq cm[/QUOTE]
Old 17th March 2012, 01:06 AM   #536
winslow is offline winslow  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm making dust, just not wood dust...plenty of fiberglass and bondo dust though. 20 something years of custom car audio fabrication coming into play.

Gotta order another gallon of resin and some 8oz 2x2 twill fiberglass cloth...which is badassed since I can drape it over the mold in one piece and only need 2 layers to get the thickness I need. Two single piece layers giving me the thickness of about 10 layers of mat in a very easy and non messy lay up. Wet both pieces out together, cover the mold, work the bubbles out, and done...5 minutes.
Old 17th March 2012, 01:11 AM   #537
diyAudio Member

Runs off to see what John's filer does on the Miscos...

They are pretty cute little speakers...
Old 17th March 2012, 02:49 AM   #538
boris81 is offline boris81  United States
diyAudio Member

I can't get over how well that faux-axial horn sounds.
Old 17th March 2012, 04:30 AM   #539
diyAudio Member

Patrick, please let me send you a can of Partall Paste wax...killing me with the mold release stuff. Or you can have the rest of my can of Meguiars #8 mold release wax.

If you had some way to spray it, I would send you some of my Partall PVA mold release. Put that on top of the wax, and nothing is sticking.
Old 17th March 2012, 06:58 PM   #540
boris81 is offline boris81  United States
diyAudio Member

Default faux-axial Neo8?

What do you guys think about building a faux-axial waveguide for the BG Neo8?
The high sensitivity, low distortion and extended response make it a great candidate.
neo8wg.PNG

Hide this!Advertise here!