Suitable midrange cone, for bandpass mid in Unity horn.

These two drivers are looking so good.. The 6" is kind of pricey, if you think you need eight of them. And I would definitely go with four per side, the lower the distortions, the better, even in a home environment..

I guess that the 4" is not available through normal retail channels though..

Pyle PDMR5 is quite a good choice, easy to get hold of and very cheap. I have not had a chance to compare it to the Misco 5" side by side, however they do seem to be reasonably comparable in sound.

The Celestion 4" requires a larger order and a group buy is a possibility. I feel the build quality is better than the Pyle and it will mount close enough to the throat to allow a higher crossover point. It does appear to sit in a nice sweet spot with good extension potential on both ends of the bandwidth. Anyone interested keep in mind that this driver may become a viable option soon at an attractive price.

I will be testing one on a Synergy soon and intend to use it soon. Also wanting to try some Tang bands.

Patrick, just wondering what Tang Bands you have tried and liked? You made a comment on my blog about an underhung 2" but I

I understand how a sealed back midrange speaker can simplify the construction of a Unity Horn.

I do not understand how a sealed back midrange speaker can provide the best sounding Unity Horn design solution.

I have learned from measurement and listening that the best midrange enclosure requires significant space directly next to the speaker as well as directly behind the speaker to avoid wall reflections reaching the back of the cone, which can be heard and measured. Significant stuffing behind the speaker and odd internal box shapes to break up resonances are also important. B&W and Impact speakers put a stuffed tapered tube behind the speaker to quietly absorb the rear wave.

Would one get a better sounding Unity Horn with open back midrange speakers using best practices design techniques on the rear enclosures?

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005

Attachments

• a581d18cbd36e4f_K.jpg
    a581d18cbd36e4f_K.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 672
  • dfa440d86e3c1cc.jpg
    dfa440d86e3c1cc.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 668
I thought you might ask!
As they say, it's not what you know but who. I have a friend who can get them, but there is still a minimum order to fill. If it goes ahead it will be a good opportunity for those who've been itching to get hold of this driver.

Since I couldn't get that Celestion 4", I went for the Misco RDC3T-A. It works damn well from what I've done with them so far. The best thing about them is that they were originally designed as a tweeter so once horn loaded they present a nearly resistive impedance. This makes it easier to use in a Synergy horn because you don't have to worry about its resonance screwing up the lower end frequency response. Its low end response is then purely controlled by the local area of expansion (i.e. local flare rate). I ordered a half case of them (30) and tested them all after breaking them in for 48 hours. Below are the overall average T/S parameters. The only way to come up with Vas was to use the sensitivity method with Smith & Larson Speaker Tester.

show_page.jpg

Fs = 1240Hz
Re = 7.76 ohms
Qes = 6.5631
Qms = 4.9345
Qts = 2.7557
Le = 0.4587 mH
Vas = 0.0559 L
Bl = 3.36
Cms = 3.36E-05
Rms = 0.77
Sd = 34.21 sq cm

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Has anyone tried using a single mid driver? Is there any problem with the sharpness of the null with the mid ports located in only two of the four vertices?

I know this has been discussed but I can't find where it was. Is there a problem with mid ports not being located concentrically with the cone and causing pressure distribution problems?

Has anyone tried using a single mid driver?

No, not me anyway.

Is there any problem with the sharpness of the null with the mid ports located in only two of the four vertices?

No, the null is controlled by the distance where the half wave reflection causes phase cancellation. It doesn't have anything to do with the number of mid ports. The diameter and length of the mid port along with the front chamber volume can further tailor the ending response edge before it drops off into the null.

I know this has been discussed but I can't find where it was. Is there a problem with mid ports not being located concentrically with the cone and causing pressure distribution problems?

Not an issue. By the time you have created any kind of pressure on the mid cone, you'd be well above 120dB SPL. The main reason to use at least two mids is to maintain symmetry. If you use a single mid, it could be possible to disrupt the polar response due to the mid frequencies not being symmetically loaded in the horn.

Motivation has never been the problem. I'm just so short on time I get very little done on it. My company has cut back on people so much, I'm working overtime every week. I even had to go in for 4 hours on Christmas day to resolve some problems. I'm happy to have a job, but this stuff is getting old.

Motivation has never been the problem. I'm just so short on time I get very little done on it. My company has cut back on people so much, I'm working overtime every week. I even had to go in for 4 hours on Christmas day to resolve some problems. I'm happy to have a job, but this stuff is getting old.

Sorry to hear that, I'm probably much younger than you, but I've lived the same experience for a couple of years..

Thank you for your clarifications earlier. I wasn't aware that having a flat impendance curve near the resonating frequency, actually lets you go down in the frequency, I somehow thought of impendance curve differently.

edit: I am not aware of any simulation of the midrange section of the Unity in Hornresp. Is this actually possible? Did any of you tried something like that, simulating in Horneresp, building and then confronting the sims? Thanks!

Could you please take a look below? I configured (I hope) hornresponse for offset driver placement, two groups in parallel, each group with two drivers in series.

Also, I believe I managed to simulate a 2cm slot, although not sure. The mouth of the horn should be around 90cm diameter. Is the input data correct?

Thanks!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.