Suitable midrange cone, for bandpass mid in Unity horn. - Page 136 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd October 2013, 07:43 PM   #1351
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrmmf View Post
Hi guys.

I'm trying to figure out which coverage angle will be optimum for my listening room.

How do you guys determine the best coverage angle?

I've made a sketch of my living room with a pair of 90 degree horizontal dispersion Synergies'

Should I perhaps choose a narrower horizontal coverage angle (80 degrees) toeing slightly outward, bringing me closer to the forward axis?

/Thomas
IMHO the most compelling reason to narrow the angle is that it raises the output level in the octave from 1-2khz. And that simplifies getting the midranges to 'meet' the tweeter.

I documentd that with some illustrations and hornresp sims a few months back on this forum. Can't recall if it was this thread.
Old 24th October 2013, 12:12 AM   #1352
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrmmf View Post
The acoustic path length of the HF-146 pretty much determines the coverage angle, which will be somewhere between 80 and 90 degrees.
Thomas,

I don't get that statement, you could make the horn any beamwidth you want, though a 5 degree horn with pattern control down to 400 Hz might still be too long even for your pants .

Realistically, anything from 40 to 100 degrees would be no problem.
Old 24th October 2013, 06:11 AM   #1353
Hrmmf is offline Hrmmf  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
IMHO the most compelling reason to narrow the angle is that it raises the output level in the octave from 1-2khz. And that simplifies getting the midranges to 'meet' the tweeter.

I documentd that with some illustrations and hornresp sims a few months back on this forum. Can't recall if it was this thread.
Thank you for your input, John-Patrick!

Since I'm doing a 2-way (SH-95 style) I will be aiming at a crossover in the region 700-800Hz.

/Thomas
Old 24th October 2013, 06:20 AM   #1354
Hrmmf is offline Hrmmf  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltersys View Post
Thomas,

I don't get that statement
By narrowing the coverage angle, I'll have to push the mids further down the horn in relation to the tap-in area. This may sacrifice the half-wave criteria in relation to the CD, i.e: if the CD's acoustic path length is very long, this only leaves little distance for the mids. By choosing a wider angle enables you to push the mids closer to the CD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltersys View Post
...you could make the horn any beamwidth you want, though a 5 degree horn with pattern control down to 400 Hz might still be too long even for your pants
You're right, and even our garden can't accomodate a 50m horn with 295m^2 mouth

/Thomas

Last edited by Hrmmf; 24th October 2013 at 06:39 AM.
Old 26th October 2013, 06:54 AM   #1355
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon View Post
Just the Aura's or did you listen to the full system?

sheldon
Oddly enough, I've never heard a Synergy Horn.
I think I need to remedy that - just noticed that there's a local company that rents them:

Audio Equipment | Nexo Line Array Speakers, EV Speakers, etc. | Special Event Audio Services

Thought I'd post that, since it's in our back yard
Old 26th October 2013, 11:48 PM   #1356
diyAudio Member

Well now. This is going to be illuminating (-:
Quote:
I think I need to remedy that - just noticed that there's a local company that rents them:

Audio Equipment | Nexo Line Array Speakers, EV Speakers, etc. | Special Event Audio Services

Old 27th October 2013, 01:34 AM   #1357
JLH is offline JLH  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Once you hear a properly set up Synergy there is no going back. I recommend the SH46 or SM60F. The Synergy's intelligibility smokes everything I've ever heard. Because they are PA speakers, they can be a little hot in the high frequencies. I recommend they be EQed down a little bit in the highs. That's why I stressed "properly" set up part at the beginning.
Old 31st October 2013, 02:00 AM   #1358
diyAudio Member

Another mid alternative?

3" Paper Cone Sealed Back Midrange 8 Ohm 289-001
Old 31st October 2013, 10:58 AM   #1359
JLH is offline JLH  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau View Post
Possible. The one thing you want to find out is what the suspension compliance is. If the suspension compliance is too low (too stiff), then it can be difficult to get the mid to turn off after the 1/4 wave cancellation notch. The Misco RDC3T-A has just enough suspension compliance to work, anything less compliant would makes things very difficult for you. The suspension compliance of the RDC3T-A is about 3.3E-05m/N
Old 31st October 2013, 11:13 AM   #1360
kees52 is offline kees52  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLH View Post
Once you hear a properly set up Synergy there is no going back. I recommend the SH46 or SM60F. The Synergy's intelligibility smokes everything I've ever heard. Because they are PA speakers, they can be a little hot in the high frequencies. I recommend they be EQed down a little bit in the highs. That's why I stressed "properly" set up part at the beginning.
the SM60F looks good for home use, simple build.

Hide this!Advertise here!