Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Suitable midrange cone, for bandpass mid in Unity horn.
Suitable midrange cone, for bandpass mid in Unity horn.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th October 2013, 06:54 AM   #1351
Patrick Bateman is offline Patrick Bateman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon View Post
Just the Aura's or did you listen to the full system?

sheldon
Oddly enough, I've never heard a Synergy Horn.
I think I need to remedy that - just noticed that there's a local company that rents them:

Audio Equipment | Nexo Line Array Speakers, EV Speakers, etc. | Special Event Audio Services

Thought I'd post that, since it's in our back yard
Old 26th October 2013, 11:48 PM   #1352
peteleoni is offline peteleoni  United States
diyAudio Member

Well now. This is going to be illuminating (-:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
I think I need to remedy that - just noticed that there's a local company that rents them:

Audio Equipment | Nexo Line Array Speakers, EV Speakers, etc. | Special Event Audio Services

Old 27th October 2013, 01:34 AM   #1353
JLH is offline JLH  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post

Once you hear a properly set up Synergy there is no going back. I recommend the SH46 or SM60F. The Synergy's intelligibility smokes everything I've ever heard. Because they are PA speakers, they can be a little hot in the high frequencies. I recommend they be EQed down a little bit in the highs. That's why I stressed "properly" set up part at the beginning.
Old 31st October 2013, 02:00 AM   #1354
Beau is offline Beau
diyAudio Member

Another mid alternative?

3" Paper Cone Sealed Back Midrange 8 Ohm 289-001
Old 31st October 2013, 10:58 AM   #1355
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau View Post
Possible. The one thing you want to find out is what the suspension compliance is. If the suspension compliance is too low (too stiff), then it can be difficult to get the mid to turn off after the 1/4 wave cancellation notch. The Misco RDC3T-A has just enough suspension compliance to work, anything less compliant would makes things very difficult for you. The suspension compliance of the RDC3T-A is about 3.3E-05m/N
Old 31st October 2013, 11:13 AM   #1356
kees52 is offline kees52  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLH View Post
Once you hear a properly set up Synergy there is no going back. I recommend the SH46 or SM60F. The Synergy's intelligibility smokes everything I've ever heard. Because they are PA speakers, they can be a little hot in the high frequencies. I recommend they be EQed down a little bit in the highs. That's why I stressed "properly" set up part at the beginning.
the SM60F looks good for home use, simple build.
Old 31st October 2013, 02:15 PM   #1357
HIPCHECK is offline HIPCHECK  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau View Post
FS 1000HZ

I know we are targeting a crossover around 1-2K to compression driver in most designs, what freq would a driver like this cover in a synergy/unity design. Most mids I have seen have a 400-700Hz FS. I do understand some that the horn will "load" the driver some and also effects the freq?

Steve

Last edited by HIPCHECK; 31st October 2013 at 02:21 PM.
Old 31st October 2013, 09:09 PM   #1358
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIPCHECK View Post
FS 1000HZ

I know we are targeting a crossover around 1-2K to compression driver in most designs, what freq would a driver like this cover in a synergy/unity design. Most mids I have seen have a 400-700Hz FS. I do understand some that the horn will "load" the driver some and also effects the freq?

Steve
The local area flare rate plays the biggest role in how low the mids will play. Mids with higher compliance combined with very pronounced resonance can override this to a degree. Mids with lower compliance and well behaved resonance pretty much take on whatever the local flare rate is. This is covered in the Synergy patent.
Old 2nd November 2013, 01:29 AM   #1359
diyAudio Member

Parts Express is replacing the defective DE120 compression driver no questions asked. Great customer service. However, they are on back order and will take about two weeks to come in. One thing to be aware of is the mounting screw size on the data sheet is wrong. The mounting screws are M5 and not M6 as shown on the data sheet. Funny enough, the mechanical drawing file has the screws correctly marked as M5. Time to reorder new screws.
Old 5th November 2013, 04:21 AM   #1360
Beau is offline Beau
diyAudio Member

Nuther one.

The Madisound Speaker Store

Suitable midrange cone, for bandpass mid in Unity horn.Hide this!Advertise here!