Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th October 2010, 01:47 PM   #121
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
John Sheerin hasn't built a Unity horn in something like ten years, and ever since I started working at home, I've lost interest in making them as well.
Hey, it's only been 6 years. Cut me some slack! ;> Honestly, the only horn system I've managed to build in that time period has been a 4 way Goto system for a customer (see http://ldsg.snippets.org/HORNS/image...24_goto_02.jpg). It seems like every other time I've started on something, I've had to immediately move and it kills my momentum. Then I've got to set up my shop again and start all over (it seems like). Hopefully I'm done with that now and can actually build something for myself...

I was actually setting up one of my old unities in my garage a few weeks ago to use as a shop system.
Old 14th October 2010, 12:39 AM   #122
Sheldon is offline Sheldon  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLH View Post
I’m further along than you know. I’ve delayed sharing a lot of information because I don’t want to play “show and tell” or “20 questions”. I know exactly where I’m going with this, but have not been convinced enough to lay out the cash to make it real. I do have the compression drivers and the horn dimensions. I’ve settled on the Misco RDC3T-A as the best mid I can trust. I’ll need to split the order with another willing buyer(s). The wife already thinks I spend too much time and money on audio. The biggest problem is my measurement system has been broke for quite some time and is not worth fixing. I need a new measurement system that can support gated measurements, phase measurement and has provisions for a mic calibration file. I'd like to buy a package deal like the Smith & Larson Speaker Tester, but $650 is too much to swing right now.
I'm going to work on my existing Lambda Unities pretty soon. I'd like to move the crossover point up a little from where it is with the 5" mids. If the 3" units gain a couple of hundred Hz, I'd be interested in a set.

Sheldon
Old 14th October 2010, 07:22 PM   #123
JLH is offline JLH  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon View Post
I'm going to work on my existing Lambda Unities pretty soon. I'd like to move the crossover point up a little from where it is with the 5" mids. If the 3" units gain a couple of hundred Hz, I'd be interested in a set.

Sheldon
Once I've got this design nailed down better I will offer up the details and probably a group buy for those that are interested. It seems I make little bit of progress everyday. I still have a few hitchs to iron out. I'll let you know when the time comes. BTW, the RDC3T's high end is only limited by how close you can place them to the throat. Several of my models have had it playing as high as 2KHz.

Rgs, JLH
Old 15th October 2010, 05:24 AM   #124
diyAudio Member

John, I'd be interested in 4 drivers at least, maybe more depending on what they end up costing. I want a centre for between my Lambda Unitys at least.

What CD are you planning on using or is that fairly flexible?

Last edited by Brett; 15th October 2010 at 05:27 AM.
Old 15th October 2010, 10:37 AM   #125
JLH is offline JLH  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
John, I'd be interested in 4 drivers at least, maybe more depending on what they end up costing. I want a centre for between my Lambda Unitys at least.

What CD are you planning on using or is that fairly flexible?
What I'm designing for is something around 40 X 60, give or take a few degrees. I arrived at this by looking at several room sizes and what might be the most useful for everyone. The speaker placement would 2 feet out from the corners and about 30 inches high. By toeing the speakers you should be able to get all the horizontal coverage you need with 60 degrees. The 40 degree should help prevent ceiling and floor bounce. We don't want the room messing with all our hard work. When I have it the way I want it, I'll start a new thread as to not highjack this one.

Rgs, JLH
Old 15th October 2010, 05:15 PM   #126
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLH View Post
When I have it the way I want it, I'll start a new thread as to not highjack this one.
Sounds good and I'll look forward to reading about it.

As some of use (like me) aren't all that regular viewers here any more could you please also post a 'I have a new thread here....' post in this thread so I might not miss it for ages.
Old 18th October 2010, 06:53 PM   #127
SunRa is offline SunRa  Romania
diyAudio Member

I really look forward to seeing your conclusion JLH. The more I think about the ultimate speaker, the more the Unity concept comes as a favorite topology.

There is something very appealing about this configuration and I come back to it again and again even if I am in the "low diffraction", "excellent time domain behavior" camp. I find using 4 mids firing unaligned in a horn through unoptimized ports (essentially holes), strongly against these principles.

And still, the design intrigues me and it has priority on my design choices, can't tell why. It would be even more interested to see a nailed down design from you.
Old 18th October 2010, 07:14 PM   #128
jeno is offline jeno  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunRa View Post
the Unity concept comes as a favorite topology.

There is something very appealing about this configuration and I come back to it again and again even if I am in the "low diffraction", "excellent time domain behavior" camp. I find using 4 mids firing unaligned in a horn through unoptimized ports (essentially holes), strongly against these principles.
This design may have some diffraction issues, but I think the "time domain behaviour" is very good, unless there is something I'm missing.
Old 20th October 2010, 07:31 PM   #129
diyAudio Member

Hello jeno,

I actually borrowed the term from over the beyond the ariel thread. By time domain behavior I don't mean time alignment effects (point source, etc) but effects such as diffraction having an effect not on frequency but in the "time domain" . For example all sorts of reflections arriving later than the main signal. Or diffractions also visible in this "time domain".
Old 21st November 2010, 10:09 PM   #130
diyAudio Member

Hello JLH,

Any news on your work? It's been a while since you're last update!

All the best!

Hide this!Advertise here!