Suitable midrange cone, for bandpass mid in Unity horn. - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th September 2010, 10:54 PM   #101
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLH View Post
I'd be going after a 7.1 system, so I'll change the number of drivers to 36. I'll need 28 plus an additional 8 for spares. I think we could get to 200 drivers pretty easy. How would we split out shipping?

Rgs, JLH
Shipping is whatever is fair... but I think $8 a driver would be the china to your US door estimate as long as you meet a minimum say 20 driver threshold.
Now heres the rub... what makes us think that the fbt audio has good qc? can we see some pics of their qc setup... returns and cherry picking would drive the price up quickly.
Old 8th September 2010, 11:22 PM   #102
Ibex is offline Ibex  Austria
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellonwheels View Post
Now heres the rub... what makes us think that the fbt audio has good qc? can we see some pics of their qc setup... returns and cherry picking would drive the price up quickly.
valid objection when you want to purchase from a taiwanese manufacturer...

FDB Audio

...unfortunately that won't help us out of this misery.
Old 9th September 2010, 02:09 AM   #103
JLH is offline JLH  United States
diyAudio Member

The big issue I've had is Celestion were complete A-holes and would not sell to us and would not provide the needed T/S parameters. Did I mention that Celestion were complete A-holes?

I really don't like the Misco JC5RTF-B much because what we need is a smaller speaker so we can get our spacing down. The closer you can get the mids to the compression driver, the easier the crossover becomes.

I thought the Misco RDC3T-A could work for us, but it has to be ordered in cases of 60 pieces and I was not willing to go alone on the cost if it did not work out. Cost is $6.44 each @ 60 pieces for a cost of $386.40 just to try it. The thing I don't know for sure about this speaker is if the horn loading will drop the Fs low enough. The higher you have to crossover to the compression driver, the harder the crossover gets because those wavelengths start to get real short above 1.5KHz.

I'm not willing to mess around with anything but sealed back mids because of the nightmare I went through trying to get open basket mids sealed and to work. No matter how careful I was, each one ended up with widely different T/S parameters.

The KM410 should work out perfectly - however a familiar problem arises again. We are having issues trying to buy the damn things. I was ready to jump on these things, but now have my doubts about FBT Audio.

Rgs, JLH
Old 9th September 2010, 07:24 AM   #104
jamikl is offline jamikl  Australia
diyAudio Member

I recall some time ago there was mention in a thread that Eminence would make speakers to order in numbers which at that time did not seem too large. Is there a possibility of going that way for a group buy? I understand they can combine various stock parts and might have something that would suit.

jamikl
Old 9th September 2010, 05:32 PM   #105
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamikl View Post
I recall some time ago there was mention in a thread that Eminence would make speakers to order in numbers which at that time did not seem too large. Is there a possibility of going that way for a group buy? I understand they can combine various stock parts and might have something that would suit.

jamikl
I spoke with Eminence about this before. They do not have anything under 6" and have no plans to add anything. They actually told me to go talk to Misco. Go figure.

Rgs, JLH
Old 9th September 2010, 07:40 PM   #106
diyAudio Member

Hello JLH,

I have some interest in the KM410 / IBEX too?

but is there some info about the Xmax.

I want to build myself some high powering unity horns.
Old 9th September 2010, 08:56 PM   #107
diyAudio Member

Would this driver be any good?

MONACOR INTERNATIONAL:New products

It's a shame that there aren't more T/S specs really, but at least there is a frequency and impedance curve.

Last edited by MikeHunt79; 9th September 2010 at 09:05 PM.
Old 10th September 2010, 12:39 AM   #108
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcello View Post
Hello JLH,

I have some interest in the KM410 / IBEX too?

but is there some info about the Xmax.

I want to build myself some high powering unity horns.
Xmax isn't that important in a Unity/Synergy design. You have 4 drivers working well away from any bass frequencies into a single horn. At SPL levels high enough to drive you out of the room, the cones move less than 1mm.

Rgs, JLH
Old 10th September 2010, 05:47 PM   #109
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLH View Post
Xmax isn't that important in a Unity/Synergy design. You have 4 drivers working well away from any bass frequencies into a single horn. At SPL levels high enough to drive you out of the room, the cones move less than 1mm.

Rgs, JLH
Assuming there is some variation in the TS parameters, what are the most crucial and what would acceptable tolerences be?
Old 11th September 2010, 07:11 PM   #110
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellonwheels View Post
Assuming there is some variation in the TS parameters, what are the most crucial and what would acceptable tolerences be?
First is no rubber surrounds or polypropylene cones. We want a classic pro style midrange. We want a paper cone with a treated cloth surround. We need an Fs between 400Hz and 600Hz - thus the need for a sealed back midrange. Yes, you can take an open frame midrange and seal the basket, but I refuse to screw around with that again.

As far as tolerances go, Vas, Fs, Cms and Bl need to be close from unit to unit. 10% tolerance would be good enough.

Hide this!Advertise here!