Suitable midrange cone, for bandpass mid in Unity horn. - Page 100 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th June 2013, 05:35 AM   #991
grec13 is offline grec13  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
You can't just mix and match drivers in a Synergy horn. Like Depeche Mode says, "everything counts." Just off the top of my head, these things count:

1) thiele small parameters of the woofers
2) volume of air under the cone
3) volume of air behind the cone
4) depth of the ports
5) diameter of the ports
6) shape of the ports
7) efficiency

I know it's fun to mix and match drivers, but without measurements it's a complete crapshoot. I've done it myself, so I know how tempting it is to just bolt something to a horn and cross your fingers, but it can lead to some conclusions that are incorrect. For instance, I dismissed the aurasounds myself, way back in 2006, but I was wrong. I was using a front chamber that was too large.
Patrick,
I'm aware about mix&match drivers in Unity/synergy. Tried that, got same "crap" result.
But I believe TD use those Celestion in original Synergy horns. And Synergy really have unique qualities that I don't see in any other type of systems. And I don't want to miss it.
It's looks like the only choices that I have - is just wait until TD will make some DIY home friendly version, or other guys with knowledge and measurement ability's will start a Synergy project. To develop such a project I'm willing to donate 8 Celestion drivers to developer.

Buy the way I'd like to say BIG thanks everybody involved in Unity/Synergy projects. TD, Bill (bwaslo) etc.
Really appreciate your time and support.
Sergey
Old 18th June 2013, 05:40 AM   #992
hulkss is offline hulkss  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grec13 View Post
So there is a driver limitation in those little Aura. May be low sensitivity I don't know.
Here is the Linkwitz Pluto users group forum link

Lovers of the tiny 2" AuraSound all alone on top of this weird speaker invented by Siegfried.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 18th June 2013, 05:51 AM   #993
hulkss is offline hulkss  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grec13 View Post
To develop such a project I'm willing to donate 8 Celestion drivers to developer.
I have a dozen Celestion TF0410MR's that I bought from Paul incase he ever gets his Synergy horn kits completed. I got tired of waiting so I decided to try and build something better myself. Some day I'll do a comparison.

Send them to Red Spade. He is in the middle of it.

Click the image to open in full size.

And another guy trying the Celestion Mid: Mike Seddon

Last edited by hulkss; 18th June 2013 at 05:59 AM.
Old 18th June 2013, 11:08 AM   #994
diyAudio Member

In the case of the Selenium compression mid or similiar I mentioned earlier, would 4 units be required by principle for the synergy/unity to work or would two get the job done. Initially I suspected that 4 cones were needed for gain.
Old 18th June 2013, 11:22 AM   #995
diyAudio Member

......or although not synergy in principle, a horn where the mid driver is at the throat and the HF components on the walls.....has this been attempted in a commercial or DIY application?
Old 18th June 2013, 02:19 PM   #996
diyAudio Member

Impressive work

The idea of simply ordering up the horn parts from a 3D printer is a real advance too!
Old 18th June 2013, 02:23 PM   #997
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 View Post
......or although not synergy in principle, a horn where the mid driver is at the throat and the HF components on the walls.....has this been attempted in a commercial or DIY application?
IMHO, there's no point in using compression midranges on the walls of a Synergy horn. Because we're *making* compression midranges. That's *exactly* what happens when you put a coupling chamber in front of a cone mid and bolt it onto the side of a horn. You just made a compression driver.
Old 18th June 2013, 02:26 PM   #998
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 View Post
In the case of the Selenium compression mid or similiar I mentioned earlier, would 4 units be required by principle for the synergy/unity to work or would two get the job done. Initially I suspected that 4 cones were needed for gain.
We're not using four cones for gain; we're using four cones for symmetry. Or Synergy

If the midranges weren't symmetrical the polar response wouldn't be either.

Basically a Synergy horn emulates one big full range driver.

The efficiency of the drivers isn't of high importance IMHO, but the *displacement* is. (Note my post from yesterday, where the low efficiency Aurasound woofer had SIX times the xmax of the high efficiency Eminence Alpha.)
Old 18th June 2013, 06:40 PM   #999
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
IMHO, there's no point in using compression midranges on the walls of a Synergy horn. Because we're *making* compression midranges. That's *exactly* what happens when you put a coupling chamber in front of a cone mid and bolt it onto the side of a horn. You just made a compression driver.
Understood in premise of course......and an impressive body of work you've done on the topic. I bring up the 1" exit midrange drivers as they appear to much easier to implement in the horn body and they're relatively inexpensive or on par with suitable midrange cones....with what appears to be no drawbacks. The upper end extension would not be limited by the bandpass loading, they can handle the power and the response is pretty smooth. Using a simple adapter, threading them into the sides of the horn body would be pretty simple......but again not sure if all of the above qualities are desirable in a Unity/Synergy application.
Old 18th June 2013, 06:51 PM   #1000
diyAudio Member

re' "The upper end extension would not be limited by the bandpass loading"

The bandpass loading/acoustic lowpass is a good thing at the high end. Its part of the magic of synergy horns. Filters out THD. Reduces the required order and therefore the group delay of the low pass cross over, therefore easing phase match/time alignment

Hide this!Advertise here!