Zu Druid

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
These speakers are developing a large cult following. A 10" full ranger with a super tweeter. Anyone seen, heard or tried to develop their own DIY pair?
The main driver looks like a Fertin but i can't verify this i can't find any info about Fertin online. As for the super tweeter i have no idea.
I would love to have a go at making a pair myself and would appreciate any help that this forum might be able to provide an how to get started.

Cheers

Their specifications

They're not accurate: look at the specs on their site. 35Hz @ 101dB from a 10" in a modest TL.... stinks to high heaven. MAYBE corner loaded.... IF they're lucky. In a 'normal' setup, it takes a refridgerator sized speaker to achieve that.

Now, they may sound great (all indications are that they do, and I'm fond of fullrange+assisted and/or wideband high efficiency mids), but they're fulla hooey.

I just love phonies
:bs:

i read the audio asylum thread nothing definitve but people appeared generally under whelmed by their efforts.
Badman or el'Ol might you sugegsta simialr project (full range woofer with super tweeter assistance) that has had better results.
I built a pair of Jordan Tl's a while back and they are still my reference but i want to try something else...

My own efforts are kind of esoteric: I have a pair of Rethm "The Second" Cabinets, using Fostex FF225k instead of lowthers, and heil AMT 1s as supertweeters. Active XO at 6500Hz, first order (still experimenting) A little more info here.

My Blog

The Hammer Dynamics seems to have quite the following, and certainly at $650 is very very reasonable.

I am currently very happy with the Ciare HX201 in a reflector-less radial setup (25x50x100cm TQWT) I could recommend if your listening room is not too high, but I think a druid clone is not impossible.
Apart from the two drivers I mentioned I could also recommend the 12" Fertin, simu looks fine. The 12" alnico supravox seems to have too high Vas.

neil_kaye said:
These speakers are developing a large cult following. A 10" full ranger with a super tweeter. Anyone seen, heard or tried to develop their own DIY pair?
The main driver looks like a Fertin but i can't verify this i can't find any info about Fertin online. As for the super tweeter i have no idea.
I would love to have a go at making a pair myself and would appreciate any help that this forum might be able to provide an how to get started.

Cheers

Measurements at 0, 15, and 30 degrees from sound stage magazine.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

with the rest here

http://http://www.soundstagemagazine.com/measurements/zucable_druid/

I'm curious how that would sound....

Well, those were the stands I had for the heils. I made some slick stands, they're now OVER the rethms (gives them lots of clearance, important since they're bipole tweeters).

No, I haven't tried any other fostex in the cabs, I'm not really inclined to either- the FF225k has a VERY smooth response, a very strong motor, and appropriate dispersion, even at 6500, to match the heils in terms of power response.

Oh and it sounds VERY good :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.