BBBIB Bigger Badder BIB Speaker - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th October 2006, 01:33 AM   #61
diyAudio Member

Martin and GM,

Thanks, that clears it up.

Regards,
Paul
Old 13th October 2006, 01:51 AM   #62
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

Oh Boy, we have Martin involved now!! Thanks guys,

I think that this project might be quite popular, also we'll get some other big varients such as Paul's.

There are tons of concentric pro 12" driver/horn tweeters out there. The right combo could be very impressive.

Even the wrong combo could be some very impressive party speakers!
Old 13th October 2006, 07:53 AM   #63
diyAudio Member

Thaks for the clarification Martin & Greg -re-reading, I was about as clear as a Pacific fog at midnight wasn't I? Sorry about that, Paul.
Old 16th October 2006, 07:40 AM   #64
diyAudio Editor

I will try to post a better one later after I get feedback on this.

what do you guys think? Are the width to depth proportions right? I think I used 1.414.

Do we need more damping on other parts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg b.jpg (77.7 KB, 1251 views)
Old 16th October 2006, 01:58 PM   #65
diyAudio Member

Spot on, as far as I can see, assuming 3/4in material. You usually need to stuff the point above the driver as well as line the internal baffle. I'd suggest some bracing too as these are big panels.
Old 16th October 2006, 07:26 PM   #66
diyAudio Editor

Since there are no big corrections, maybe in your spare time you could do a response plot of this size..?

Those little squares in the section at the end of the flare are 2x2's to help brace a little. Admittedly at this size it would be best to have the whole thing thicker, but expensive. Punkr could add another layer on the sides later if he loves them, to make them even better- and REALLY heavy! I am looking into using the scraps to at least add some thickness at the very top.

So damping on both sides of the internal baffle/divider? How thick? What material?
Old 16th October 2006, 07:28 PM   #67
diyAudio Member

Just the front initially. About 1/4in thickness of BAF wadding material should do wonders. I'll run a sim shortly.
Old 17th October 2006, 12:11 AM   #68
BAM is offline BAM
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to BAM
I'd be inclined to take a look at the coaxial offerings by B&C Speakers. You can find them at Parts Express. B&C Speakers is a popular brand among the pro audio manufacturers particularly. They even have a 6.5" midrange driver which looks like the older PHL models.
Old 17th October 2006, 12:16 AM   #69
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to punkrokr1701 Send a message via MSN to punkrokr1701 Send a message via Yahoo to punkrokr1701
B&C yes they are nice and prefered for pro audio but with a price. $309 for a 12"coaxal driver? Sorry to bust your chops but this is an econo project.
Old 17th October 2006, 01:38 AM   #70
diyAudio Member

Default not sure but...

Beyma also have some nice 12 inch coax drivers. These I believe are less expensive than the B&C units but will still be more expensive than the Eminence LAT. Remember though that the LAT is a 12 inch wide range with a whizzer cone as opposed to a Tannoy style dual concentric two way with a comp mid/tweeter. More money yes but a lot more speaker and in the long run not all that much more money. At least people reading should be aware of possible options. With what you could sell a set of BIB's with LAT's in them you could afford the B&C or Beyma drivers for round two. Have a look at the Beyma 12XC30 which ought to work well in a BIB. Probably double the money of a LAT but more than twice the driver and don't forget LAT's will need a tweeter to help out the top end so there is additional cost/time to consider there as well. Regards Moray James.

Hide this!Advertise here!