Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th October 2006, 04:47 PM   #101
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

Oh Boy, more people asking about this project...
I prefer to put my horns in a small but separate compartment to keep the bass vibrations from affecting the tweeter by making the horn resonate, In this case the bass is probably going to affect it some anyway but still, a tiny compartment extending into the horn shouldn't be a problem.

A good way to make this compartment is to glue a capped cardboard or PVC tube to the back of the wall, enclosing the tweeter. For the FT17 a 3" tube would be fine, and the tweeter doesn't protrude more than 3/4" into the interior , so the tube would only protrude 2 inches at most.

On the other hand, if you just mount the FT 17 tweeter in the cavity, it will protrude 3/4" at most, and is 2 1/2" dia. With a double baffle thickness as I show in the plans, an unenclosed tweeter wil not intrude at all into the cavity.

Send us the pics of your project!
Old 21st October 2006, 04:01 PM   #102
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to punkrokr1701 Send a message via MSN to punkrokr1701 Send a message via Yahoo to punkrokr1701
Alrighty. I'm going out today to get the wood. Birch and oak is about $43 a sheet but I can get something called Aruaco 7ply for $23 a sheet. Has anyone had any experience with this kind of plywood? I'm not using MDF, it's cheap but weighs a ton.
Old 21st October 2006, 04:28 PM   #103
GM is online now GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Greets!

It's not good for speaker building unless 'An' grade IMO, then needs to be >1" thick to match 19 mm Baltic Birch, Appleply, or marine grade's stiffness and probably at least 19 mm to match the furniture grade Birch or Oak veneer, so ideally significantly more bracing will be required on a large cab.

Since this is an 'el cheapo' project though, use it and only add braces based on how resonant a cab you'll tolerate.

GM
Old 21st October 2006, 04:37 PM   #104
diyAudio Editor

if you get 1" thick then you or I will need to adjust the dimensions a small amount. No problem though...

Don't know about that ply. That cheaper "Imported Birch" is 11 ply but was a lot more than $23. Them most important thing from what I've heard is whether it has voids, ie hollow spots between some layers. You can look at the edge to see about this somewhat.. voids are bad....

Again , I'm not an expert, but it it had no voids or only very small ones,
and you braced across the wide parts with 2x2 or closet hanger rod, it probably will work.
Old 21st October 2006, 04:53 PM   #105
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to joe carrow
The biggest problem you'll run into from voids is buzzing and rattling. If this happens, you can track down the source of the buzz with a stethoscope and drive a wood screw through it and tighten it down really tight. This wouldn't be tolerable for most people's aesthetics, but something tells me that you'll find a way to tolerate a few screws stuck into the cabinets.

Any idea how you're going to finish them? I was in a fabric store once, and they were selling rolls fake fur by the yard- like the kind of fur you would use if you were making a gorilla suit. For a project like these, that would be really out there.

Edit- I just installed Math Cad on my new laptop, so I'm going to have a look at the simulation.
Old 21st October 2006, 04:55 PM   #106
diyAudio Editor

I've seem some pretty good projects that were painted with semigloss latex using a fine nap roller.
Old 21st October 2006, 05:44 PM   #107
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Any idea how you're going to finish them? I was in a fabric store once, and they were selling rolls fake fur by the yard. [/B]
I have a pair of Vifa/Dayton 2 ways finnished in fake fur. Tiger fur. They look Grrrrrreat!

(kinda strange - under the fur is a really nice oak ply - some of my best woodwork. And I choose to hide it)
Old 21st October 2006, 05:49 PM   #108
diyAudio Editor

Pano,

Maybe we need a rendering of that- along with the girrrrlls of course

Punk, I 'm so excited you are doing this! There are many members that can talk a good game, but the ones I respect are the ones that are actually MAKING things. They are the people this site is for...
Old 21st October 2006, 07:14 PM   #109
diyAudio Member

I agree Variac....that's an amen on the..."ones that are actually making things" and an 'atta-boy for Punk.

Ray
Old 21st October 2006, 09:35 PM   #110
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to joe carrow
Default Video for scale

I was fooling around with an animation program (looking for ways to exercise the new laptop ), and I whipped up this little fly-around to give a good idea of the scale of the speaker.

http://jzoe.com/movies/bibb.avi

It didn't seem to like playing in Winamp, but played OK in windows media player.

I still didn't get around to running a mathcad simulation- Variac, can you please indicate the post number with the "official" dimensions? Thanks in advance.

Hide this!Advertise here!