Audax HD3P/Meadowlark help needed!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone!

I'm new at this and I need your help.

The Audax HD3P tweeters in my Meadowlark Blue Heron speakers have deflated. My questions are:

Preferably) Does anyone have a pair for sale or know of a source? I know this is a long shot. I would only need the tweeters themselves (no x-over or trans needed) since other parts are in speaker already.

Last ditch effort) Has anyone replaced these tweeters with another type with good results? If so, could you please explain the procedure and possible replacement options? I have no prior x-over mod experience but do have quite a bit of soldering exp and some limited electronics know-how. I'm confident I could swap parts succesfully with clear instructions. A drop-in replacement would be lovely but I do realize this may be a long shot as well.

SALAS - I see you have done this to Nightingales. Any advice?

All help is greatly appreciated.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I have used a 100mm chassis Audax dome (A26) with 1uF cap and Lpad. You will not find 'golden eggs,' and if you will in ebay, expect them to deflate soon. They are old production. Better mod the singing bird.

Your sister sees the future
Like your mama and yourself.
You've never learned to read or write
There's no books upon your shelf.
And your pleasure knows no limits
Your voice is like a meadowlark
But your heart is like an ocean
Mysterious and dark.

One more cup of coffee for the road,
One more cup of coffee 'fore I go
To the valley below.

Bob Dylan - One More Cup Of Coffee (Valley Below)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Here you can see an Audax 100mm chassis classic in nice price. Dont worry about the rise in last octave, it will even out for room response so you can still get the airy treble you are used to by the 3Ps. Its difficult to get adequate 100mm chassis to fit snuggly where your 3Ps are. Use 1uf Auricap and play with Lpad resistors before the tweeter after the cap until fully blended in. Use 10R / 10W shunt and play with the series value of the Lpad.

laney,
Have used the Hd3P for about 5 years and burnt one a couple of years ago and was lucky enough to score two out of Canada. I'll tell you they don't travel well on planes and if you do find them you should avoid transporting them this way if possible. It is a shame because they are such an addictive sound and I'm hoping mine go gradually as I still have one spare.
What happened to your Hd3Ps and did they both go together?
Cheers,

Thanks for the responses!

I'll give the HD3P search another week or so before giving up and modifying the speakers. I'll keep the pitfalls in mind should I find a pair.

I, actually, just bought the Blue Herons unheard/unseen over the internet. They arrived already deflated. I bought through a third party and can't ask the original owner how they died. I could return if I want but the price was good and returning might be more of a hassle than modifying. We'll see. I have a couple more sources to try before making the modify/return decision.

Wish me luck!

It is possible for me to open the baffle hole a bit. I would have to make a special cutter to do so, but I wouldn't then be limited to the 100mm size for the replacement tweeter. With this in mind, what tweeter recommendations would you make up to 110mm diameter?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.