need information on a Wharfedale ROSEDALE speaker model - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th October 2006, 01:13 PM   #1
bembel is offline bembel  Europe
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bembel
Default need information on a Wharfedale ROSEDALE speaker model

Hi all,
I bought a Rosedale speaker this week-end (20€ @ 2nd hand shop),
and the mid-range driver is dead. (open burnt coil)
I wrote Wharfedale to get some informations, but they lost all their old documentation due to a fire.
I would like to get some informations to find a good replacement for the original mid range driver.
I have also no informations at all about impedance of the baffle and its speakers.

Any datas ?

thanks
Old 11th October 2006, 01:58 PM   #2
Sherman is offline Sherman  United States
diyAudio Member

Wharfedale speakers come up fairly often on eBay though I seem to see more W60 models than Rosedales. And often individual drivers are for sale. Prices are usually pretty good.

Vintage Wharfedales were designed with low powered tube amps in mind and so are generally pretty efficient. (IIRC the Rosedale is ~95dB/W/1M.) I also think that the midrange is the same as the one in the W60? The W60 has a 5 3/4" midrange so if yours is the same size you should be able to use them.

Power handling of the Rosedale is about 40 watts and again IIRC the impedance was nominally 8 ohms. (A nagging voice in my head is telling me it is actually 6.5 ohms but I would go with 8 ohms unless research tells us differently.)

Not definitive info but it may help.

Good luck with the restoration!
Old 11th October 2006, 02:19 PM   #3
bembel is offline bembel  Europe
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bembel
thanks Sherman for your info ! (can't googled anything usefull)

Quote:
Vintage Wharfedales were designed with low powered tube amps in mind and so are generally pretty efficient. (IIRC the Rosedale is ~95dB/W/1M.) I also think that the midrange is the same as the one in the W60? The W60 has a 5 3/4" midrange so if yours is the same size you should be able to use them
> It's cool ! I use it as a mono system with a Thorens tube amp (PR15 from 50-60's) so efficiency is welcome, actually I pluged it to 8 ohms.

> the old midrange driver basket was 14.8cm in diameter
for now it's replaced (mids) by a 8 ohms davis kevlar driver >90dB (but a little bit shorter in diameter (13cm basket) but holes are OK)
And for me the mids miss bass and are centered too high, Is original mid driver 8 ohms also ???

Any suggestion ?

Original Bass & mids drivers have square magnets (if it can help in identifying)

thanks again.
Old 1st December 2006, 12:50 AM   #4
Coblius is offline Coblius  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Another Rosedale Owner

I did a fairly crazy thing on Ebay yesterday and purchased a pair of Rosedales that appear to be new in their factory boxes! I had promised myself that I wouldn't spend any more money on old technology (I've currently got three pairs of mains, all from the 1980's--Klipsch KG-4's, Polk RTA-11TL's and Celestion SL-12si's) but I couldn't help myself. The Devil made me do it.

As others have noted here, it's hard to find information on this model, particularly in the U.S. When I Googled, this thread was one of my few hits.

I just wanted to introduce myself since we appear to be members of a very exclusive club. I'll let you know more after I've received them and shaken some plaster off the walls with those monstrous 15-inch woofers. I'd best feed them some music they're familiar with, maybe Janis Joplin or the Stones.

Maybe I'm nuts, but I can't wait to receive my 40-year-old new speakers. There's not a scratch or any sign of previous use on these.

Regards,
Dave C.
Old 1st December 2006, 09:02 AM   #5
Geoff H is offline Geoff H  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Coblius, Dont worry about a special diet for your Rosedales. My Super Tens love everything from a string quartet to Satriani (with a bit of help from a sub) and many side dishes. And they are 40 y/o

One warning. Wharfdales will fry the VC before any mechanical stress.

Enjoy them.

Geoff

Hide this!Advertise here!