How to connect 2 amps to 1 pair speakers? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th October 2006, 04:26 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default How to connect 2 amps to 1 pair speakers?

Is there a practical way to use a single pair of speakers with two different amplifiers (one amp and one reciever/amp)?

I can use a switchbox to use a single cd player with both a reciever (with bulit in amp) and an amplifier. But is there a good method to switch the speakers between the two amps?

With the output power level of amps, I would think the only way is with high capacity relays controlled with a switch box, but perhaps this causes significant degredation to the audio quality?

Is anyone doing this?

I am thinking there is another problem - it would be very easy to have the speakers switched to the wrong amp and then turning on an amp with no speakers connected could cause damage.
Old 10th October 2006, 07:56 PM   #2
Svante is offline Svante  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I think you could find a switch that does the job fine. Be careful to find one with non-shorting contacts, though, otherwise the outputs of the two amplifiers will be connected together for a short moment as you flip between them, and that may damage the amplifiers.

Hide this!Advertise here!