How to connect 2 amps to 1 pair speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is there a practical way to use a single pair of speakers with two different amplifiers (one amp and one reciever/amp)?

I can use a switchbox to use a single cd player with both a reciever (with bulit in amp) and an amplifier. But is there a good method to switch the speakers between the two amps?

With the output power level of amps, I would think the only way is with high capacity relays controlled with a switch box, but perhaps this causes significant degredation to the audio quality?

Is anyone doing this?

I am thinking there is another problem - it would be very easy to have the speakers switched to the wrong amp and then turning on an amp with no speakers connected could cause damage.

I think you could find a switch that does the job fine. Be careful to find one with non-shorting contacts, though, otherwise the outputs of the two amplifiers will be connected together for a short moment as you flip between them, and that may damage the amplifiers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.