peavey 18's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, the good news is I have Peavey sp-2x speakers with 15's and horns and built in crossovers that I like real well. The bad news is I have 18" widows in some really crappy cab's someone built with 1/2" plywood. Can I find some idiot proof cabinet designs for ported enclosures ? I really don't want to learn everything there is to know about speaker design, just want to build a good home for my 18's.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Hi Dan,

Here’s a link that will gives the T/S parameters for the 18” Black Widow.
http://www.usspeaker.com/peavey 18018bw-1.htm

I did some calculations. A box of 8cu.ft. (40”H x 24”W x 15”D) with 2 – 4”dia. round ports 5” long will give you an f3 of 46Hz. These dimensions are inside dimensions and you will have to increase them to make up for the bracing driver and port volumes. The link below will take you through the construction of a bass bottom enclosure. You will need to change the dimension for your speaker.
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Bistro/3491/speaker.html

Hav fun.:)
Rodd Yamashita

the plan

well after fighting with winISD and checking out the resources Rod mentioned, it seems I need to build enclosures about 3.5' x 3.5' x 4'. I intend to locate two vent holes 6" dia under the speaker. planning on 3/4 osb, then sealing joints with silicone and priming the inside. If they sound good I'll have to buy some covering material, already have handles, corners, and TS-TRS inputs. Any advice on bracing and batten ??

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Re: the plan

dan said:
well after fighting with winISD and checking out the resources Rod mentioned, it seems I need to build enclosures about 3.5' x 3.5' x 4'. I intend to locate two vent holes 6" dia under the speaker. planning on 3/4 osb, then sealing joints with silicone and priming the inside. If they sound good I'll have to buy some covering material, already have handles, corners, and TS-TRS inputs. Any advice on bracing and batten ??
Dan,

You’re right about the box size if you’re going for the extended flat response, but that driver is really pretty flexible with regards to box size. You'll have to contend with the traditional trade-offs, the smaller the box the higher the f3 (with a small bump in the response once the box gets below about 10cu.ft.). What do you want to use your system for, critical listening, HT, PA? The point is, you don’t need 24Hz response for PA or a DJ system, and a bass guitar only needs 40Hz. You can get that in 10cu.ft. instead of the refrigerator crate you’re talking about.

For a box that large I would build a frame first out of 2x4’s and screw ¾” plywood skins to the frame. That way all of the bracing is easy to put in place. For the stuffing, you can line the whole inside with about ½” to an 1” of carpet felt with 3 or 4 inch fiberglass insulation over that.

I’m interested in knowing what the application will be.
Rodd Yamashita

hi Roddyyama,
Thanks for the info on the 18" black widow,I got them today and cut the wood this afternoon ,I am building the decware's Homewreckers for their new home,The plans I bought were for 15" so I scaled them up a little and made them 24" instead of 20 " , if my cal is correct ,if they are 48" tall and 24" square that's 4 sq feet per foot so = 16cu feet- internal mounts for the speakers and the speakers, I am thinking 15.66 sq feet at finish assembled,Material thickness is 3/4 birch,
The Spec sheet recomended plywood ,The ratings are mind blowing 3200 pkwatts,1600 program,I was real impressed with the cone structure,it was thick and very ridged,and it has a reinforced voice coil and special leads,thought that was neat.

A question ? what is carpet felt? is this the foam they use?Is the fiberglass insul. needed in this box the spec sheet told how to build a box and didn't say anything about insulation,One other it did recommend a active sub bass control unit ,I thought I would ask your opion and look on the site to see what's here!
Thanks for your time!
Cheers

Attachments

• from kodac 051.jpg
    from kodac 051.jpg
    918.4 KB · Views: 172
  • from kodac 048.jpg
    from kodac 048.jpg
    760.2 KB · Views: 158
hi
I got some "motor" noise in these subs sounds like a engine at Idle when I was breaking them in with a gen @ 100hz and a 100 watt amp,I beat the box with a hammer and it doesn't make any rattles or such,BTW a good way to find those nasty sounds is to beat the box with a rubber mallet,any Ideas?...did anyone who has built a hwk 18 homewrecker used insulation and did they use the first position to mount the speaker? port sizes? THANKS

hi Chapark,
Have you got one of these?what's your set up?:p
I would like to know what other have done to increase it's efficiency and modify the sound and tune it for a nice smooth low bass, alot of cabinets I hear now especially in cars is boomy base drum,kinda sounds peaky and dry,I like it a little wider,and pronounced,somewhere along like what you get from a good bass guitar,nice resonance fully sound, How about tuning these bad boys,what does insulation do ? changes in port size,shape,length?2 or more ports,different lenghts,
More or less wattage?
stuff along those lines,or am I the only one that's not up to speed on this?
Do you know where I can find some info on how this all works?
I would like to have it in one place and hopefully on DIY
Would answers for the above help us all out?
What you think?

NoSmoking

Hey noSmoking,

No i don't have one like that, it's about the size of my living room! :rolleyes:

I don't know anything about your configuration, can't help much. :D

You might want to look at following article in JAES: 'An introduction to band-pass loudspeaker systems', E.R. Geddes, 1989.

Cheers

chaparK

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.