Help/advice needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
alright here's my deal.

i had 2 old pioneer cf9000 floor speakers, pretty old but the boxes and grills are in pristine condition so i decided instead of buying new ones i would just replace the individual parts on these, well i ordered the tweeters and midis directly from pioneer's website and installed them recently, when i play the radio they sound clear and no problems besides the left one occasionally popping in out and out???, anyways my main concern is when i ran a cd player into the phono on the amp (which is also very old/pioneer) the music plays but there is occasional popping/crackling? any advice as to what could be wrong or what i could do to fix this would be greatly appreciated, installing the new subwoofers to the speakers soon as well.

Is the problem coming out of both speakers? If so it may be somewhere in your electronics. If it seems to be coming out of one speaker try switching the speakers to the opposite channels - if the problem follows the speaker when you do this it's the speaker - if it remains in one channel it's in your electronics.

If it turns out it's a speaker and it's coming out of all the drivers it's most likely in the crossover network. If it comes out of only one driver it could be just that driver or still in the crossover, in just that channel of it. Try switching the driver with the same one from the other speaker - same problem? Then it's in the crossover; if the driver itself still misbehaves in the other speaker you have a bad driver. If it turns out to be in the crossover you should see if Pioneer has a replacement for it, or try to troubleshoot it yourself - depends on your electrical skills.

thanks for the response....

well i tried switching channels and the prolem followed, so i guess the problem is within the speaker itself somewhere, seeing that the tweeter and midi is brand new i dk what is wrong? by "network" do you mean the wiring? and what is the crossover and driver?

I know i am amateur to this stuff but i am trying to learn. Thanks for your help guys.

The "crossover network" is a set of electrical components that divides the signal coming into the speaker into ranges of frequencies suitable for each driver. The drivers are the individual "things" that actually reproduce the sound - your new midi and tweeter are drivers.

Now that we know the problem is in the speaker with the new drivers, I suspect it is probably in one of them. Try running the speaker with the tweeter disconnected, then reconnect it and run the speaker with the midi disconnected. Do this test with the other speaker completely disconnected so it doesn't distract your listening to the bad speaker.

What happens when you do this test? Get back to me when you've done this.

It does appear to be the crossover, but the timing is a little coincidental. To make absolutely sure, it's probably a good idea to test the drivers from the other speaker on the problem one - if the problem is still there it doesn't seem like it could be anything but the crossover.

You can try pulling it and checking all the connections, but without knowing these components very well it's probably going to be easier to see if Pioneer has a replacement for it, if not the exact same one then hopefully something suitable that won't make your two loudspeakers audibly different from eachother.

Let me know...

peufeu said:
Maybe it's a bad contact. Did you also swap the cables ? Old speaker connectors can oxidize...

And he meant broken solder joints ; simply re-melt the solder and add a bit of new solder on top of it.

Jeez I'd feel stupid if it was something as simple as that, after all the technical stuff I've had him go through - I can't believe I didn't think of that first.

Oh well I guess it's a good learning experience...

hey guys.....
thanks for all the replies and ideas..

given my limited knowledge it's hard for me to exactly determine my problem but after eliminating the drivers as being faulty i tried to take a closer look at the wiring inside.....

all the driver connects seem to be okay however where the red and black wires go from the little box to the back of the speaker(dont know the terminology sorry ) one of the plugs is loose because half of the clip (or maybe this is the solder joint) that keeps it plugged on the back is having a hard time staying attached......

i hope you can understand my novice lingo and once again thanks for the help

Well it looks like peufeu was right! You may be talking about the terminal cup - where the cables coming from your amp actually clip on to the back of the speaker? These often degrade on older speakers but can replaced.

Can you pull this off of the back of the speaker? It may be attached with screws - hopefully not glue. When you pull it out of the speaker is the crossover network attached to it? If so it should also be connected with screws. Maybe you can repair the cup, or replace it - but if the x-over is attached to it it will be easiest to just get a new cup, and instead of trying to attach the x-over to the new one, attach it inside the speaker cabinet and then wire it to the cup.

You can do it!! :D

It does sound like you've narrowed it down to one of the speakers, but as a general principle, it's a bad idea to plug a CD player (or anything other than a record player) into the phono input of an amp. Phono inputs expect a lower voltage signal, so a CD player is likely to overload it, producing distortion. Phono preamps also apply what's called an "RIAA curve", which basically means that the low frequencies are boosted quite a bit. This is because low frequencies are cut when a phonograph record is recorded, and the preamp compensates for that to restore it to a flat (more or less) frequency response. It's possible that the boosted bass has aggravated your speaker problem by causing more vibration of the components.

Reid

thanks for more replies.....
no im not having problems with the cup that is well in tact, i was reffering to where all the wires are connected on the inside, one of the ends of the wires is missing half of its metal end tip , and tahnks for the input on the phono input i was wondering why cd player sounded so bad, but my main issue didnt have anything to do with the bass bc i havent hooked up the subs yet .........

hmmm i guess it's just the crossover network, i will either try and repair it or order a new one from pioneer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.