Speaker idea based on Zaph ZD5, thoughts please, Zaph?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I should be more clear. I own a Behringer CX3400. Thats a 3-way Stereo analog active crossover. I think the Behringer DCX2496 is neat, but like I said, a lot of what I've read about it suggests that you need a 6-channel volume control unit on the outputs in order to control the outputs because it must be fed at all times with an input signal that is just below clipping or else it's very noisey.

When you guys are talking about using the DCX2496 do you mean as a replacement for the passive crossover all together? Will this really be better than Zaph's carefully calculated passive XO?

If you want to stay with the Behringer that you already own, you are pretty much limited to building the ZD5 according to plans and placing it on top of the woofer enclosure. You can slide the ZD5 back and forth for phase alignment. If there is significant woofer box top in front of the ZD5 some thick felt there would be a good idea.

If you want to use your cabinet design and buy a DCX2496, then fully active is the way to go, IMHO. You'll need to measure and tweak, but you should be able to get a very good result after a few iterations. Fully active will probably be easier than compensating for Zaph's baffle step correction, and leave you more processing power headroom.

I've seen both sides of the six channel volume control issue without hearing it myself. Initially you could feed a variable level signal to the DCX2496 and go to a six channel volume control if you find the noise/digitization artifacts objectionable.

See the Twisted Pear guys for a relay based volume control kit, or Dantimax if you want remote control. Either kit can drive the multiple relay boards to handle 6 channel duties.

Hi,

I suggest looking at Audio Physics speakers for how to add
two bass drivers to essentially a small two way speaker.

Opposing the drivers, resiliently mounting them and adding a force
cancelation connection between the drivers is a very good idea,
though I suspect chosen drivers are not ideal for the connection.

The top of the cabinet should contain a triangular sealed section.
The cabinet should be extensively braced.

:)/sreten.

zd5 digital crossover

I know this this is slightly off topic, and this thread a couple of years old, but I'm looking at the ZD5, and don't at all fancy the crossover. Lots of expensive bits in a complex layout, and I'm a believer in bi-amping, and feeding each driver the correct controlling signal to start with, rather than filtering a power signal.

The behringer et al are too limited I think though, and I'd like to drive this using bruteFIR or similar from a PC - ie a software crossover. Is there a good way to extract a software filter from a crossover design, or from an actual crossover? Or a better way is probably a tool to create a software filter, given design parameters, but what are the ZD5 parameters, and is there such a tool?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.