help!!! design a T-line enclosure for the "wrong woofer" - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th October 2006, 05:06 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default help!!! design a T-line enclosure for the "wrong woofer"

I have some units of an amazing woofer that I really want to use...because I already have them, and they are fantastic (despite the problem explained below)
I am triying to design a 2 way speaker using one or two of these driver to play the lower part of the frequency spectrum...
The problem is tha because of the nature of the design of the woofer (short excursion, high resonance frequency), when I run the values in my usual speaker enclosure software, no matter whether its a sealed or ported design, the outcome is a box that will start a smooth roll off from 100 Hz down...resulting probably in a speaker with very little low frequency energy output...DonŽt get me wrong I dont expect it to go really deep and low...IŽll be happy to be playing at around -6 dB around 50-55 Hz...not -3 db already at a 100 Hz!!!
So my question is:
Is there anybody with experiencie designing T-Line speakers, and do you believe I could make the sytem resonate in alower frequency by using that type of concept?
...or do you think I should surrender and go for a 3 way design with a more suitable woofer "underneath" it?
THANKS!!!
Old 6th October 2006, 05:19 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Well you could go 2-way with the drivers you have and fill in the bottom with a sub.
If you post the TS numbers for your woofer, someone will help you.

Jeff
Old 6th October 2006, 05:29 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to joe carrow
Generally, you don't get much more bass out of a driver by using a transmission line. I tried this once, and although the bass would go low I needed a LOT of EQ to get the bass up to the same level as the mids and highs.

If the driver has short excursion, high Fs, and low Qts, maybe it's more suited to use in a horn.
Old 6th October 2006, 06:02 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

You might try going to http://www.t-linespeakers.org/ and take a look around.

But yeah, for a woofer that starts to roll off at 100 hz you're probably better off adding a sub to the system, rather than trying to squeeze low end from a driver that's really not designed for it. Use it in the band it performs best at - your ears will thank you for it.
Old 7th October 2006, 07:24 PM   #5
e-side is offline e-side  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

A couple of years ago, when I didn't have the knowledge and materials to measure the drivers parameters, I had a dual voice coil driver for which I built a closed box and hoped that it worked well. The system didn't produce any bass. After measurements, the driver seemed to have a low Qts with the voice coils wired in series, explaining the lack of bass in the closed box.

As far as I know (traditional) transmission line systems resemble closed box (Q=0.5) behaviour, so you might get disappointing results using that driver in such an enclosure.

Hide this!Advertise here!