Unknown Quality Vintage Speakers??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone,

I was given these speakers along with a cars worth of other stuff today from an electrical shop which was closing down after 50 years...

Just wondered if they were valuable at all?, although they need reconing ofcourse I know they are good quality and sound excellent at low volume - as the cones are ripped. The covers are missing which have the brand naming on them?? so I have no idea who they are manufactured by, does anyone recognise them?

They are 3.5 ohms and liquid magetic material speakers, for both the treble and the mid/bass driver. They look a biut more wrecked in the photo than they actually are, I think someone has obviosly tried to repair them before.

Many thanks.

URL]

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The tweeters are likely SEAS OEMs... boston acoustics used similar in early models. The left one looks a bit strange, the right one, a stiffish poly-something dome. Do both the tweeters work?

Are the surrounds treated naturally or is all the gunk an attempt to stave off failure?

Can you snap some pics of the backs of the drivers?

dave

Thanks for your reply, the left tweeter has some strange sealant stuff on it, I think it might have a rip in it, the one on the right is how it should look like. Yes, both the tweeters work perfectly and sound very nice, as do the mids at low volume. The surrounds have also being done, not by me. I can get pictures if you like, but there is no information or stamps on the magnet, however im more than happy to if they are of any use?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
matt09 said:
Thanks for your reply, the left tweeter has some strange sealant stuff on it, I think it might have a rip in it, the one on the right is how it should look like. Yes, both the tweeters work perfectly and sound very nice, as do the mids at low volume. The surrounds have also being done, not by me. I can get pictures if you like, but there is no information or stamps on the magnet, however im more than happy to if they are of any use?

I might be able to tell some things from the baskets & magnets/

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
matt09 said:
Great, thanks! Question is... are they valuable in anyway at all? Or complete junk?

The one good tweeter has value -- more if you can find another or restore the gooped one. The rest only have value if you can find a use for them.

If you can't find a use as a speaker, if you rip the cones out and screw the basket face forward onto a wall it will make a useful magnetic tool holder. Alternatly if you can extract the magnets whole without breaking them you can use them as aditional or as bucking magnets.

dave

The tweeter isnt that bad at all, just a bit of black covering or does it need reconing? it doesnt sound any different. Out of interest how much value in terms of ebay money just £20 or so for both the tweeters as they are?

If you can't find a use as a speaker, if you rip the cones out and screw the basket face forward onto a wall it will make a useful magnetic tool holder.

love the imagination in that!!

Thanks anyway :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.