Tannoy 12"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tannoy 12"

I recently acquired a pair of Tannoy 12" Red drivers in excellent condition. Now I need to find plans for cabinets. I'm a capable woodworker so complicated plans don't scare me off but I haven't experience in designing speakers. These drivers are really nice so I want to make an enclosure that will make the most of them.

I'm not set on anything so I'd love to get some recommendations.

I see discussion about the Autograph horn enclosure that sounds like that might be the ultimate. I gather that the Autograph was designed for a 15" driver so it would need to be scaled...somehow. Does someone have a good, clean set of plans? - preferably in .pdf format?

How would one approach scaling the plans to acoustically fit a 12" driver?

Hi jcmjrt :)

I see discussion about the Autograph horn enclosure that sounds like that might be the ultimate

Finally, someone that is not scared about the mighty Autograph ;)
The 12'' Tannoy can fit in the full scale enclosure. No need to resize. Then, when you get a 15'' pair, you simply swap them for the 12 incher :D and get the full bass:devilr:

Good luck,
M

Great plans for the Autograph. I saw the ones that you built and it looks like you did a wonderful job!

I don't know. I've heard that putting a 12" driver in the speaker cabinet for a 15" driver isn't all that wonderful....and I don't know that I'll ever "upgrade".

So far about the only recommendations that have been made to me for enclosures are that they should be about 100 - 150L. I've been told that there are plans out there. I found one set on Hilberink's site for a 12" - it's a sound practices article - but the only comment I received on them was that about 120L for a horn might be small.

Is it reasonable to just scale plans for a 15" driver to 12/15 (.8) for the 12" driver?

I'm on the steep end of the learning curve at this point but I'm looking around the web.

Look Harder :)
Rectangular Autographs work well with the 12's..(better than the 15's they were intended for)
A lot easier to build and only at a slight disadvantage to the Westminster/Large Auto's... and that's assuming your electronics are up to seperating the differences.. most are not.
Don't feel yer 12's are somehow 'less' than the 15's they are actually nicer in the midrange than the 15's .. true.

Hi jcmjrt and Bare,

Great plans for the Autograph.
If you wish, I could send you the plans that I actually used, taken form tannoy "bigpond" site that is now unusable. I cleaned them with "paint".

I don't know. I've heard that putting a 12" driver in the speaker cabinet for a 15" driver isn't all that wonderful....and I don't know that I'll ever "upgrade".
If you're concerned about the front horn, you could make a try with carton or something, based on the plans, to see if it fits an how it looks. All i know is that "octave woodwork" (site does not work anymore) made excellent Autograph enclosures and they stated that they were good for the 12''.

I saw the ones that you built and it looks like you did a wonderful job!
You're talking to me? (with Robert De Niro's voice) :D :clown:
Actually the front horn is not that good. I made mistakes as not considering the angled cuts for the two sections (you have to add at least 1cm for this) It is hard to see on the plans. But wait until I finish my 2:3 replica. :cool:

Is it reasonable to just scale plans for a 15" driver to 12/15 (.8) for the 12" driver?

Mmmhh...I don't recommend it

Cheers,
M

Bare said:
Look Harder :)
Rectangular Autographs work well with the 12's..(better than the 15's they were intended for)
A lot easier to build and only at a slight disadvantage to the Westminster/Large Auto's... and that's assuming your electronics are up to seperating the differences.. most are not.
Don't feel yer 12's are somehow 'less' than the 15's they are actually nicer in the midrange than the 15's .. true.

I had heard that the corner Autos were better sounding but, of course, that was with 15's. I do have a couple of corners to put these in...but I'm gathering info/exploring options at this point
I've heard some people say that the 12"s were their favorites because of what you say...a better mid.

Max, I'd love to get a copy of your plans. Clean is good. :)

Too bad the "octave woodwork" isn't around anymore. I'd like to hear what they did to make them 12" worthy...if anything.

That Autograph looks like a complicated design and angle cuts are always challenging to get just so on the first try. Take my word though, your "mistake" looks very nice. I'm sure that any new one (like 2:3) will be flawless. I find that by the time I'm done with a project I know almost enough to get it just right.
;)

I figured that it wasn't as easy as just scaling but I thought that I could hope.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.