Simple Yet Complex Crossover Question...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Please excuse my ignorance... but here goes...

If you use a any of the available crossover calculators out there...

to create a 6 12 or 24 db passive crossover.... and then use the zobel or L-pad calculator
get associated values,

Can you then just ad all of these parts together without interaction or value changes...

It cannot be that simple... or can it...??? Is the magic choosing the right electrical slopes and testeing and measuring the actual slopes and levels...???

I feel like a child looking in on a world that just facinates me...:eek: but then, I hate math...:bawling: so I want to just go buy a deqx and LISTEN to the Music... :D

Any insight is appreciated, GCM

It would be nice if it were that simple :D

The textbook values you get from basic crossover design tools assume a lot of things, they assume they are connected to a driver with a perfect 'x' ohm load with no inductive impedance rice, no resonant peaks and perfectly flat phase and frequency response. In reality this isn't the case and overcoming these effects is all part of the art of designing a good speaker.

To do it properly you do need some measurement equipment, you can get reasonably good results by ear but not to the full potential of the components used.

I'd like to have a play with a DEQX but they're a bit spendy for me :bigeyes:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.