Thiel bookshelf speakers, 1980's, Worth fixing up??? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd October 2006, 07:02 PM   #1
rurockn is offline rurockn  United States
diyAudio Member

Question Thiel bookshelf speakers, 1980's, Worth fixing up???

I have a neighbor willing to sell me his old Thiel bookshelf speakers for $80 and I am wondering if its a good deal. I haven't been able to find ANY information on them since they are from the late 1980's. They appear to have real Mahogony wood cabinets, normal to large bookshelf size, about an 8" cone on the large driver. I have not heard them play yet, according to him they still sound good. Visually - I love the enclosurea and almost want to buy them jost for that!

Anything you can let me know will help! I'm wondering if they are a good deal. What do you think?
Old 2nd October 2006, 07:54 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Do they still have a tag with the model # on them? That will help you and others here research them. If not on the cabs there are most definitely model #s stamped on the magnet structures of the drivers.

I would suggest you listen to them before you purchase - make sure they work, etc. and see how they sound to you.

If you can take a few photos that will help also - very often people here will recognize a speaker that way.
Old 2nd October 2006, 11:44 PM   #3
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

Thiel are very well-engineered speakers. We're talking ~1k or so new back then. If they play at all, $80 is a steal. If the woofer foam/rubber is shot (hard or flaking) or the tweeters are blown they might cost a bit to refurbish properly. They might still be worth it.
Old 3rd October 2006, 02:07 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thiel used to build excellent quality cabs back then and I'd probably pay $80 even if there were no drivers at all in them!

Hide this!Advertise here!