folded horns

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anybody ever made a folded horn before? I have never heard one before, but ran across this design on a couple different web pages.. What are the advantages to this kind of design? I'm trying to figure out what kind of enclosure I might want to use for my next project.. TIA

bonsai171 said:
Has anybody ever made a folded horn before? I have never heard one before, but ran across this design on a couple different web pages.. What are the advantages to this kind of design? I'm trying to figure out what kind of enclosure I might want to use for my next project.. TIA
I guess planet10
whoever that boy is
will have some thing to say on this

I am afraid I have not much, yet

bonsai171 said:

I have made two pair of horns in the 70's. As I recall the Schmacks horns were the best one. There are lot's of horns sites and especially Schmacks are common.

The advantage of a folded horn is that they can be made smaller. Otherwise straight horns are better. You loose bandwidth when you fold them.

Here are my "wonders":
http://home5.swipnet.se/~w-50719/hifi/horn_hifi.html

bonsai171 said:
I got all the info -----what you need to know

Re: horn

mikee12345 said:
see my site.at the bottom is a link for a well documented bass horn
this is UNFOLDED.

folded horns,like ones for PA etc,are usualy compromised and small mouthed causing wobbles in response .

Bad:size and length

You are absolutely right. My small horn had a rather "cold" sound and no deep bass but the bass which came out was like a horse kick in the stomach.

You straight horn looks very interesting but the WAF seems to be very low :yes:

How did they sound? How deep bass?

Look through some recent back issues of AudioXpress (I will look for specific months when I get home). There have been several projects by the same author on building double snail type folded horns that maintain smooth surfaces throughout the horn. Claim is that the usable response is extended upwards of 5KHz. Never have had a chance to listen to these, but they have to have better performance than the usual flat angled reflecting surfaces used in most folded horns.

Phil

Re: horns

bonsai171 said:
so they're not worth bothering with?
No way!. Horns are the best, <i>providing</i> you build them right as the level of compromises you can get away with in a box design will show up to a scary level in a poorly implemented horn. Hoffmans's Iron Law applies with a vengeance to horns. Good horns, esp for bass are large, and anyone who says they can get bass out of a small horn is full of it.

Bruce Edgar and Tom Danley are the people who are leading the way in this field.

Folded horns have lots of inherent compromises in their design, esp wrt to bandwidth. Most of the rear loaded 'horns' out there are more like wideband resonant pipes due to insufficient length and mouth area.

Re: Re: horns

Brett said:

No way!. Horns are the best, <i>providing</i> you build them right as the level of compromises you can get away with in a box design will show up to a scary level in a poorly implemented horn. Hoffmans's Iron Law applies with a vengeance to horns. Good horns, esp for bass are large, and anyone who says they can get bass out of a small horn is full of it.

Hi, I agree that good horns for bass are large. But if you have two good corners, you can do it with relatively <a href= "http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/pi/messages/8818.html">small boxes</a>

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.