Please explain this crossover...???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok my friends... The packages have arrived...

Box One: the drivers 2 tweeters and 2 woofers...

Tweeters: They look metal in dome material... Question how do I tell which connection is positive and negative? One is wide and one is narrow...

Woofers: Black metal cones... very stealth looking... they say 8ohm.

Box Two: The cabinets... I just figured it out... Very nice... These are The famous Platinum Audio Solo cabinets... Complete with Acrylic tops and bottoms still covered. Brand new in Rosewood... WoW 1" thick mdf with some kind of hardwood interior panels.

The Notes: A complete schematic from Phil Jones (unconfirmed) himself with his notes on upgrading the Solo and Reference 1 crossover parts... It does say, Best of luck, Phil Jones

He states that the origional coils were ferrite and iron core but that using copper foil will expand the dynamic range...

So that origional post was the Platinum Audio Reference 1 and Solo crossover schematic.

I have always wanted a pair of these speakers...What a gift, Thank You Dave...

A little Phil Jones magic... Well guys, It will be something to see how an updated Platinum Reference 1/Solo speaker compares some of the amazing DIY 2 way projects out here.

I will have to take photos if anyone is interested.... These puppies sold for 2500.00 to 5000.00 back in the late 1990's and still are regarded as amazing....

Once again how do I know the positive from negative terminals so I can put them together...

Thank you to everyone, GCM

Pos and neg can be confirmd by connecting a 1.5 volt penlite battery, with tweeters it can be very hard to see though, and I wouldn't connect it to long(!!!).

When the positive of the battery is connected to the positive of the speaker the membrane will move forwards...

So connect only in short bursts and try both ways when it is hard to tell the difference (you'll always be able to see eventually)

And for safety reasons use a used battery first...

Nice speakers by the way!:angel:

Well, it is official. ( as if you didn't know)

John Zaph Krutke is an amazing loudspeaker designer.

As this thread left off, I thought that I had finally landed the definitive monitors with the platinum audio schematic, drivers, parts, cabinets and notes by designer - phil jones.

I have been comparing my newly built Platinum Audio Solos ($2700.00 in 1996) to
my Zaph audio "Seas L15RLYP / 27TFFC System- using the 27tdfc instead"

1 - 5" aluminum woofer each and 1 - 1" tweeter each, roughly the same size etc...

Yes, I am comparing one of the all time highest rated stereophile recomended loudspeakers to a 350.00 pair of DIY loudspeakers designed by a hobbiest named john and built by a hack named Glenn.

What I found was that the design that John so unselfeshly shared with us is, forgive me for putting the boots on john, "WORLD CLASS" "open, articulate, full of life, amazing bass for such small size, WOW, @#$%^%$#@#$%^&...

So here is my next question/project.

Take johns passive system and make it active... including linking it to a rythmik servo sub to create the ultimate sub/sat diy system for under 1000.00

we could use a diy active board from bob E. or from S. linkwitz or ??????

John, I Know that you are a busy man... and I have never bothered you with my novice questions before... but, since you left the L15 out of your roundup, we have been in the dark. Please tell us why you didn't include it? is there a reason that we should be aware of? and also, thank you for sharing your passion with all of us.

So, the ultimate sub sat system.... All of you active junkies, I need your input and guidance.

And anyone out there who has not heard a Zaph design, start building one today.

Thanks, GCM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.