Anyone used this combination: Morel MW144 + MDT32S?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So... I've built these BR bookshelves with the aforementioned drivers. I was curios if anyone used this driver combination, in order to share some opinions. I used 2nd order filters crossed at 2.5kHz, with zobels on both woofer and tweeter. More details will come depending on feedback.
My impression: decent bass for the size, nice highs, shy midrange, rather lifeless sounding, at least at low volume levels.
Drivers were measured using a Behringer ECM8000, system measurements show good frequency response, fairly flat.
My biggest complaint is the midrange, which is kind of dull and makes voices expecially to sound recessed, no feel of 'presence'. Not the kind of midrange I'm mad about.

Hi, I have a number of designs for the mw144 with mdt30s, same as 32s apart from faceplate and terminals. They all worked very well and each had its benefits. I would say in different ways they all had a good midrange performance. I am happy to share my findings for crossover circuits but they are subject to you having a similar baffle to the ones I used. I also have a design for the mw144 in a small sealed box with the 19mm metal seas tweeter. This is very similar to a Harbeth HLP3 but with a flatter midrange.

Be nice to see them Rob. I have a 144/30s transmission line that I'm pokeing at quite often.

I have 12db at around 2.5khz too. The midrange sounds ok, but the hf stuff is not so good. Perhaps the big maplin yellows were not such a good choice.

All I have really done is buy a cheap air cooled board, and swapped the hf cap. Then added resistance to the hf sections input to balance the volume.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I went with DMS37's with my MW144's, This was recommended to me by the Australian distributor at the time (phoenix358), as the dms37 was designed to work well with the MW144. I originally had a 2nd order acoustic at 3Khz but have now moved to a 4th order bessel at 2.8Khz and I'm MUCH happier with the sound :) Details (long) here ---> http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/68301-my-morel-mtm-project.html

Tony.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.