New speakers 2 or 3 way?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have one speaker half finished and still haven't decided on 2 or 3 way. It's a floorstander 36" high and 1.25cf (or smaller if needed) and can accept a 7" woofer. The 3-way would have mid-range drivers and with a 2-way I could use higher-end drivers.

My thoughts on a 3 way are :

Seas H1215
http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=1208629.20635&pid=1043

Vifa MG10sD09
http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=1208629.20635&pid=1368

Vifa D26NC55
http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=1208629.20635&pid=1325

For 2 way 7" woofers considered are Scan Speak 8531G, Accuton (2 avail., cheaper one is higher qts (.42) can box be vented?), and Usher 8545A or 8545P.

Any number of tweeters SS9500/9800/9900, HDS Peerless, Usher 9950-20, Seas ....

With both configurations theoretically costing the same, and with the right drivers and x-overs, why would you build a two-way floorstander?

Depends mostly upon your listening levels and need for deep bass. Louder and needing more bass= 3 way territory. Softer listening: 2 way. I tend to go for large radiating areas, be they horns or just large transducers, just for the ease of presentation and efficiency, even though I listen at relatively low volumes typically. But given that you're limited to a 2 way, I'd go with the following: 2 way (would need a sub) with an Eminence Alpha 6A midwoof (93dBish, well behaved, suited to sealed or vented, and AFAIK good distortion characteristics) and a Peerless 810921 HDS tweeter (also 93dB). This, depending upon room placement and other factors, might need a baffle step circuit (easily accomplished line-level). You'd be able to cross the tweeter over low (2k first order?) which is a big plus for retaining fairly constant power response.

It's a design I've been kicking around for a while, the HDS tweeter has low distortion even at high level, and a nice low Fs, both in impedance amplitude and frequency.

Listening levels are a good point. I have 2 three-ways already ( one is my signature pic) and they really come into their own at higher volumes.

I was curious as what a 2-way floorstander would sound like in comparison. I really like the Ushers and made cutouts for them. The tweeter cutout will fit the Vifa mid perfectly and still have room on top for a small faced tweeter. Considered a Morel tweeter but JKrutke gave the Vifa high marks. The woofer cutout will fit several 7" drivers, the Eminence being too small.

Thanks for your input.

Attachments

• g0001sm.jpg
    g0001sm.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 326
polkymon said:
Listening levels are a good point. I have 2 three-ways already ( one is my signature pic) and they really come into their own at higher volumes.

I was curious as what a 2-way floorstander would sound like in comparison. I really like the Ushers and made cutouts for them. The tweeter cutout will fit the Vifa mid perfectly and still have room on top for a small faced tweeter. Considered a Morel tweeter but JKrutke gave the Vifa high marks. The woofer cutout will fit several 7" drivers, the Eminence being too small.

Thanks for your input.

Nice sig pic and posted picture both look really great.!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.