nominal impedance missmatch of drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
SamClassA said:
Just a quickie,
My tweeter is 4 ohms, my Midrange & Bass are 8 ohms. Do I need to add a resistor in series with the tweeter in the Filter circuit to balance the impedances?

Long answer YES !
In your situation I can see 2 advantages in adding that resistor :
1) Tweets are usually more efficient, hence it serves as padding down the sensitivity
2) With higher impedance on the tweet, you'll find that you don't need that big of a cap to cross over (if compared to 4 ohms) - hence some cost savings here.

cheers.

It's more complex than just adding a 4 ohms resistor. I'd do this; add the resistor on the tweet till the sensitivity of the tweet matches your woofer. Bbest is to measure at around 3khz of the tweet and woofer. I assume that is your target x-over point; only then measure the final impedance of your tweeter (with the resistor in place) and then use that value to calculate your cross over values.

cheers.

as far as i am aware simply putting a resistor in series with a tweeter is a bad idea, my memory is a tad fuzzy at the moment but i believe it can have a negative effect on electrical dampening for the tweeter, leading to a peak before the low end roll off, unless you are doing so in order to try and match a target slope, l-pads are a better idea.

The L-Pad that noodle_snacks is referring to is not one of those turn the knob things you see on some speakers. It's a dividing network of 2 resistors.... 1 in series and 1 in parallel to the tweeter.

Here's some basic info I have on my site and will give you some insight.
http://www.rzaudio.com/rz52/Crossover.htm

Each builder has their own preference and I've a preference for the single series resistor but other like the L-Pad.... they both have advantages and disadvantages. The disadvantage of the series resistor is that with each change it alters the impedance of the filter and so it has to be recalculated but makes tweaking quicker but an L-pad generally keeps the impedance constant but is a bit more fiddly when tweaking.

They both however do the same thing by reducing the SPL of the tweeter so it matches the woofer's SPL.

rabbitz said:
They both however do the same thing by reducing the SPL of the tweeter so it matches the woofer's SPL.

Yup. Its not about matching nominal impedances.

Nominal impedances are a pretty meaningless number really, a speakers impedance rarely ever actually is the quoted nominal.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Ignore the numbers along the bottom. This is an '8' ohm audax driver.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.