VIFA Woofer naming scheme?

Vifa woofers seem to use this kind of a naming scheme

series, P=classic poly, M=classic (coated) paper, PL=premium line, MG=glass fiber line, TC=cheap line ...

external diameter in cm

W = Woofer or S = shielded device

x = H, O, G, K, R = what is this???

- = dash

two digit number, 08 or 09 seem to be numbers for parts in the general Vifa program, whereas higher numbers seem to be primarily for OEM parts -- is there any system to these numbers?

- = dash

impedance = 04, 06 or 08

example
PL18WO-09-08

So the things that bug me are the letter after the W and the two digit code coming after that.

I have not been able to correlate them to VC former material, size of magnet, type of surround or anything.

Puzzled,

Eric

capslock said:
Thanks. Any idea as to what those might mean specifically?

By looking thru their datasheets you'd find out, but here is what I have already found out:

D = 20 mm VC, 210 grams magnet
G = 25 mm VC, 240 grams magnet
H = 25 mm VC, 415 grams magnet
J = 32 mm VC, 415 grams magnet
O = 40 mm VC, 700 grams magnet
R = 50 mm VC, 1050 grams magnet

I'll check it out to find more ...

Here are some more:

X = 76 mm VC, 240 grams magnet
C = 25 mm VC, 10 grams magnet (Neodynium)

K = 25 mm VC, ?? grams magnet (my guess is 210 grams)

Please note, that the TG, TC, and Classic lines doesn't completely follow the rest of the speakers in that the

D = 20 mm VC, 105 grams magnet (TC, TG or classic line only)

Thanks Aggeman,

I guess its the classic line that threw me, as I have a 21WO that has a dual magnet, and another one the has only one very tiny magnet.

A quick check of some of the XT, MG, PL woofers confirmed your scheme.

Any ideas what the numbers after the letter mean?
The 09 seems to be the standard basket for XT, PL, MG lines, 49 the plastic basket for the TG line. However, I have no idea how the basket for the XG18WH00 would be different from that of the XT18WH09...

I think the 39 are usually the non-standard (OEM) versions that have a basked with flat edges, like the Peerless HDS series.

Regards,

Eric

Vifa date codes?

Current parts seem to have a six digit number that is actually the production day.

Very old parts have the year as a two digit number, i.e. 86.

In between, they used three digit numbers. My T+A T160E, which I think I bought in the summer of 96 when the line was stopped, has drivers with codes 505 and 506, so I assume this means May/June 1995.

I recently bought some M25WO-47 that have the date code 903. Would this be 1989 or 1999?

Hi guys,

I'm so sorry for waking up a thread this old, but here's what I've learned so far with regards to Vifa model naming:

In the very beginning (1981 onwards), as Vifa continued to manufacture existing Seas designs, their naming convention remained very similar to that of Seas. As an example, the old Seas 17F-W was renamed Vifa S17WF ("W" meaning woofer and "F" meaning ferrite in both cases).

The naming system would evolve over time, and not always in a consistent manner, especially when it comes to basket construction vs. cone material. Troels Gravesen has summed it up like this:

Codes.jpg

With regards to the time-of-manufacture codes:

1981-1986:
Vifa initially follows the WW/YY (or sometimes YY/WW) pattern that Seas used. This remains throughout 1986.

1987-2001:
The familiar three-digit codes (YMM) are used. I believe the numbers simply rolled over into 1997 an onwards, so that e.g. a unit marked 802 could actually be february of either 1988 or 1998 (the Premium Line drivers were introduced in 1994, so those are in the clear).

2001:
A 5-digit number is found on some units, but this must have been very short-lived or limited to a certain market. They could be sequential batch numbers, or possibly some OEM code, but certainly do not make sense as a specific time stamp.

2002-
Units are labelled with full dates (DDMMYYYY), following the Vifa-Peerless merger (DST).

2005:
Not exactly sure when, but things change in many ways after Tymphany gets involved. The Vifa brand is sold off to a Chinese outfit, but manufacturing continued as the Peerless V-line. Manufacturing is gradually moved to China in the 2006-08 timeframe, and this seems to be when the alphanumeric codes start to appear on the tweeters (along with the tagline "Designed in Denmark"). These codes are probably just sequential batch numbers, starting at DPA##, making the actual time-of-manufacture hard to derive.

Also note:
For a period in the mid-2000s, a selection of Vifa units were marketed in the Netherlands/Germany with different model names, as well as a 4-digit code (could be WWYY).

- H -

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user