ATC SM75-150S Dome Mid Measurement Data - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th October 2007, 07:27 PM   #41
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blackreplica
Just for the sake of argument, i fail to see a compelling reason based on the objective measurements to choose this ATC over say, a Dayton RS52. In many ways they are actually quite similar. Distortion levels are similar. Breakup on the rs52, being much higher in frequency means the usable passband on the dayton is larger although the hard cutoff for both on the low-end is about 500Hz. I am not sure about how the dayton fares in terms of dispersion, but being a 2 inch dome, it cant be any worse than the ATC. The biggest difference here is the fact the dayton can be bought for nearly 1/10th the price

Thoughts?

zaphs rs52 test: http://www.zaphaudio.com/smalltest/

I think mark K tested the dome as well and produced similar results
The RS52 was tested at 90db/1m. I did 90dB/2m or 96dB/1m. No doubt the budget Dayton would fall to pieces before the ATC would.
Old 24th February 2008, 11:02 PM   #42
thadman is offline thadman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ShinOBIWAN

The RS52 was tested at 90db/1m. I did 90dB/2m or 96dB/1m. No doubt the budget Dayton would fall to pieces before the ATC would.
What would you equate the ATCs upper amplitude limit (~600hz XO) as far as power compression, distortion, etc? Would they be able to keep up with a compression driver at 2-2.5khz or are they just direct radiators with good dynamics?

I'm most interested in their capability above 110dB, right around 1w/1m for a quality CD
Old 24th February 2008, 11:16 PM   #43
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Seems to me these mid domes especially would be some benefit from a MTM configuration
Old 24th February 2008, 11:24 PM   #44
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thadman

What would you equate the ATCs upper amplitude limit (~600hz XO) as far as power compression, distortion, etc? Would they be able to keep up with a compression driver at 2-2.5khz or are they just direct radiators with good dynamics?

I'm most interested in their capability above 110dB, right around 1w/1m for a quality CD
Well the figures shown at the beginning of this thread were taken at 96dB/1m. 110dB and clean performance is a big ask of any driver. I really wouldn't like to speculate about such things considering the $700 price tag of an ATC mid. My guess is that it would happily play in the 600hz+ range with steep 4th order+ filters at those levels and still remain subjectively clean. I'd think THD would be in the 2% range across the passband but that's a guess based on previous performance and assuming a relatively linear rise in distortion with regards to output.

The ATC would have no problem keeping up with the dynamics of a compression driver. The problem is that the ATC doesn't have the same colourations so it would be interesting to see what happens when the two are paired.
Old 24th February 2008, 11:32 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tinitus
Seems to me these mid domes especially would be some benefit from a MTM configuration
They'd absolutely walk 110dB in that config. Problem is $2800 for 4x ATC's.
Old 25th February 2008, 01:54 AM   #46
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Just wonder about those 110db...can sound be called hifi at such levels
Old 25th February 2008, 03:26 AM   #47
thadman is offline thadman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If the crest factor of your music requires such levels than yes...

The Overture of 1812 comes to mind
Old 25th February 2008, 03:56 AM   #48
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thadman mentioned 110dB at 1m. A realistic listening distance is around 3m making that 98dB. Considering peaks of upto 12dB in average music content then you can take that down to 86dB average SPL. This is all pretty sobering because most systems have no hope of conveying realistic transients and peaks at decent distortion and without compression.
Old 25th February 2008, 05:51 AM   #49
patrikf is offline patrikf  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I Use the domes in MTM configuration coupled with a Stage accompany 8535 as tweeter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mtm.jpg (22.5 KB, 521 views)
Old 25th February 2008, 02:21 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

Are those running in a 2.5way because of the large centre spacing? Also do you use SM75-150 or SM75-150S?

BTW A formidable setup you have there.

Hide this!Advertise here!