ATC SM75-150S Dome Mid Measurement Data - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd June 2007, 06:31 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Cabinet damping

Quote:
Originally posted by vincentrubble
Hey Shin;

What do you use for enclosure damping? I am meaning the damping material used to increase the apparent (accoustic) volume of a cabinet, not the damping material used to decrease cabinet resonances.

Thanks,
Vince

Quote:
Originally posted by ShinOBIWAN
Hi Vince

Bonded Acetate Fibre(BAF) or lambs wool work well.
Thanks Shin. Who manufactures BAF? Where do you buy it? I'm trying to find some in North America so any additional info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
Vince
Old 22nd June 2007, 07:12 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Cabinet damping

Quote:
Originally posted by vincentrubble

Thanks Shin. Who manufactures BAF? Where do you buy it? I'm trying to find some in North America so any additional info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
Vince
This that I use is from Monacor for the BAF and Visaton for the lambs wool.

TBH I think its all pretty much the same stuff regardless of manufacturer. The wadding from PE looks fine and you've also got places like Zalytron, Madisound, Speaker City and Michael Percy all of whom can supply BAF or its equivalent.
Old 22nd June 2007, 07:47 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Cabinet damping

Quote:

This that I use is from Monacor for the BAF and Visaton for the lambs wool.

TBH I think its all pretty much the same stuff regardless of manufacturer. The wadding from PE looks fine and you've also got places like Zalytron, Madisound, Speaker City and Michael Percy all of whom can supply BAF or its equivalent.

I think that our BAF equivalent is called Dacron Hollofil - which is used as pillow stuffing, sleeping bag insulation, etc. What about Blackhole 5? It has a 1" layer of polyurethane foam (which I believe is open cell foam; closed cell foam would not be useful to increase apparent volume) on the outside. What are your thoughts?
Thanks,
Vince
Old 23rd June 2007, 01:50 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: ATC SM75-150S Dome Mid Measurement Data

Quote:
Originally posted by thylantyr

Can you elaborate? I don't ever recall reading where people
didn't like this driver. The ATC dome midrange is probably
the only real good dome midrange on the market, the rest don't
compare.

I have no doubt the ATC dome is very good when optimally incorporated into a system - I've heard them in systems with Active x-overs.
How-ever for those of us who cannot afford such driver, and do not need high power capacity there seems to be at least one other quite good dome mid :- Morel MDM 55 .
Sensitivity is specified as 90.5 dB , though with Fs of 380 Hz and the magnitude of the impdance peak there - taking Morel's published plot as representative - it will not likely work well down so low in frequency as the ATC dome, but there are bass drivers which work well up beyond the 600 - 900 Hz area where the Morel could be crossed in.

The old Vifa D75MX -31-08 has been replaced by a D75MX-41-08 from the now combined Peerless-Vifa , but no plots published yet, nor much other information.

Any comments from users or measurers of samples of the Morel MDM 55 ?
Old 7th July 2007, 07:08 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Who else besides Solen sells the SM75-150S? They only have one left in stock (Vince, I guess you got the last pair) and are talking about a two month wait to get more. Wilmslow only lists the SM75-150. Anybody have a used pair they want to unload?

thanks for leads, John
Old 7th July 2007, 08:54 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hancock
Who else besides Solen sells the SM75-150S? They only have one left in stock (Vince, I guess you got the last pair) and are talking about a two month wait to get more. Wilmslow only lists the SM75-150. Anybody have a used pair they want to unload?

thanks for leads, John
Try direct from ATC, that's how I bought mine. Their contact details can be found on the ATC website.
Old 8th July 2007, 08:10 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Try direct from ATC, that's how I bought mine. Their contact details can be found on the ATC website.

I'll try that, but I was assuming that I couldn't get them out of ATC any faster than Solen. I was really wondering if anyone had happened upon any dealers besides SOlen/Wilmslow that might have a couple in stock.

thanks again, John
Old 20th October 2007, 03:05 AM   #38
thadman is offline thadman  United States
diyAudio Member

How large was the test baffle for the distortion tests? Question being, the width determines when the driver will roll off (obviously) and output will decrease. I'm just wondering if I was to use a large baffle (how about 3', about the wavelength of 400hz), if I'd be able to extend the response lower (lets say 400hz vs 600hz) without incurring the distortion spike displayed in your test results?
Old 20th October 2007, 04:45 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to blackreplica Send a message via AIM to blackreplica Send a message via MSN to blackreplica Send a message via Yahoo to blackreplica
Just for the sake of argument, i fail to see a compelling reason based on the objective measurements to choose this ATC over say, a Dayton RS52. In many ways they are actually quite similar. Distortion levels are similar. Breakup on the rs52, being much higher in frequency means the usable passband on the dayton is larger although the hard cutoff for both on the low-end is about 500Hz. I am not sure about how the dayton fares in terms of dispersion, but being a 2 inch dome, it cant be any worse than the ATC. The biggest difference here is the fact the dayton can be bought for nearly 1/10th the price

Thoughts?

zaphs rs52 test: http://www.zaphaudio.com/smalltest/

I think mark K tested the dome as well and produced similar results
Old 20th October 2007, 08:54 AM   #40
el`Ol is offline el`Ol  Germany
diyAudio Member

This Alnico 2" looks as if it could be used without lowpass.
http://www.ciare.com/pdf/catalogo/HM600.pdf
Unfortunately no distortion measurements available.

Hide this!Advertise here!