ATC SM75-150S Dome Mid Measurement Data - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2007, 12:29 PM   #21
diyAudio Member
 
ashok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 3RS
Thanks .
__________________
AM
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2007, 04:05 PM   #22
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Zurich
Shinobiwan,

thanks for posting those measurements. I am upgrading the speakers in my digital piano and was thinking of using these drivers--wide dispersion and flat power response are really important for this applicaton. Did I understand that the distortion measurements you made were at 90dB at 2 meters? If so, those distortion specs are absolutely outstanding.

Since you've had a lot of experience working with these drivers, care to share some crossover examples?

thanks a lot, John
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2007, 05:53 PM   #23
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Prince George, BC
Default ScanSpeak R2904/7000

Hi Shin;

At the beginning of this thread you mention that you have measurements on the ScanSpeak R2904/7000 ring radiator. Could you please post these? What do you think of this driver? I have recently ordered a pair of the SM75-150S and the R2904/7000-09 (black instead of aluminum coloured) from Solen. They have not yet arrived so I haven't been able to play with them beyond a bit of computer modelling. I'm just leaning to use LinearX's LEAP software instead of the old way (ie. equations and lots of paper in the wastebasket for me). I figure that my wife is only going to let me buy drivers once so I had best go with the best I possibly can and then I can play with the XO's & enclosures over time. Any suggestions you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Vince
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2007, 06:24 PM   #24
diyAudio Member
 
ShinOBIWAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally posted by hancock
Shinobiwan,

thanks for posting those measurements. I am upgrading the speakers in my digital piano and was thinking of using these drivers--wide dispersion and flat power response are really important for this applicaton. Did I understand that the distortion measurements you made were at 90dB at 2 meters? If so, those distortion specs are absolutely outstanding.

Since you've had a lot of experience working with these drivers, care to share some crossover examples?

thanks a lot, John
No passive examples from me I'm afraid, I went all manner of active routes with the ATC domes.

Just a few tips really that resulted in the best subjective sound for me. The optimum bandwidth for this driver is 500hz to 3.2Khz with steep filters like 24dB/oct order min and preferably 48db/oct+. Reasons for this is very high distortion below 500hz and dome resonance ~4.5Khz. If you extend the operating range and/or use shallow slopes you can get a rather hard sounding midrange because of the distortion and at the upper end, a fatiguing, harsh lower treble due to the resonance.

The ATC doesn't seem especially bothered about parnering drivers on its low pass but the highpass is especially critical. I found ATC's own bass driver to be a great match overall. Look at paper drivers for the best results I think and forget about alu, magnesium and the stiffer cone types. Look for a bass driver with good sensitivity too as I believe these will match the dome mid nicely.

One quick note is to be sure you level out the passband of the driver, its quite uneven at first but a few bands of PEQ give a near ruler flat response through that important and sensitive mid region.
__________________
The more you know who you are and what you want, the less things will ever be the same.
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2007, 06:26 PM   #25
diyAudio Member
 
ShinOBIWAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: UK
Default Re: ScanSpeak R2904/7000

Quote:
Originally posted by vincentrubble
Hi Shin;

At the beginning of this thread you mention that you have measurements on the ScanSpeak R2904/7000 ring radiator. Could you please post these? What do you think of this driver? I have recently ordered a pair of the SM75-150S and the R2904/7000-09 (black instead of aluminum coloured) from Solen. They have not yet arrived so I haven't been able to play with them beyond a bit of computer modelling. I'm just leaning to use LinearX's LEAP software instead of the old way (ie. equations and lots of paper in the wastebasket for me). I figure that my wife is only going to let me buy drivers once so I had best go with the best I possibly can and then I can play with the XO's & enclosures over time. Any suggestions you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Vince
The R2904 is very overpriced but still a good driver if you look at the big picture and ignore the price. I think you'll be happy as it doesn't do anything particularly wrong and mates well with the ATC.
__________________
The more you know who you are and what you want, the less things will ever be the same.
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2007, 01:28 AM   #26
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Zurich
Thanks for the reply. Are you familiar with the front mount wave guides shown at www.solen.ca? They look a lot shallower than the back mount ones I've seen. That would be great for me if true--again I am worried about achieving a flat power response.

regards, John
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2007, 10:58 AM   #27
diyAudio Member
 
ShinOBIWAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: UK
From looking at them they aren't wave guides but trim plates to tidy the look up. I have no experience with them so can't really say much else.
__________________
The more you know who you are and what you want, the less things will ever be the same.
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2007, 02:58 PM   #28
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Prince George, BC
Quote:
Originally posted by hancock
Thanks for the reply. Are you familiar with the front mount wave guides shown at www.solen.ca? They look a lot shallower than the back mount ones I've seen. That would be great for me if true--again I am worried about achieving a flat power response.

regards, John

Quote:
Originally posted by ShinOBIWAN
From looking at them they aren't wave guides but trim plates to tidy the look up. I have no experience with them so can't really say much else.
They are in fact only trim plates that allow front mounting of the driver instead of rear mounting it. The driver attaches to the trim plate which is then screwed to the front baffle of your speaker. I took a look at them earlier this year but they are too big in diameter to work for me; they are about 230mm. I hope this helps. I can say that from my experience Chris at Solen is excellent to work with, very helpful, quick responses, etc.
Vince
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2007, 05:27 PM   #29
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Prince George, BC
Default Cabinet damping

Hey Shin;

What do you use for enclosure damping? I am meaning the damping material used to increase the apparent (accoustic) volume of a cabinet, not the damping material used to decrease cabinet resonances.

Thanks,
Vince
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2007, 06:21 PM   #30
diyAudio Member
 
ShinOBIWAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: UK
Hi Vince

Bonded Acetate Fibre(BAF) or lambs wool work well.
__________________
The more you know who you are and what you want, the less things will ever be the same.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ATC SM75-150S+R2 or ESG1 Selfmade Multi-Way 17 2nd May 2011 08:57 AM
For Sale: 2 x ATC SM75.150S dkxdn Swap Meet 8 17th July 2008 09:26 PM
xover for atc sm75-150s montana Multi-Way 2 8th July 2007 05:25 PM
ATC SM75-150s x-over design help? T-Dot Multi-Way 2 4th January 2007 08:02 AM
Fs: Atc Sm75-150s triode4 Swap Meet 1 7th September 2006 01:55 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:11 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2