ATC SM75-150S Dome Mid Measurement Data - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st January 2007, 12:29 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Thanks .
Old 16th June 2007, 04:05 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Shinobiwan,

thanks for posting those measurements. I am upgrading the speakers in my digital piano and was thinking of using these drivers--wide dispersion and flat power response are really important for this applicaton. Did I understand that the distortion measurements you made were at 90dB at 2 meters? If so, those distortion specs are absolutely outstanding.

Since you've had a lot of experience working with these drivers, care to share some crossover examples?

thanks a lot, John
Old 19th June 2007, 05:53 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Default ScanSpeak R2904/7000

Hi Shin;

At the beginning of this thread you mention that you have measurements on the ScanSpeak R2904/7000 ring radiator. Could you please post these? What do you think of this driver? I have recently ordered a pair of the SM75-150S and the R2904/7000-09 (black instead of aluminum coloured) from Solen. They have not yet arrived so I haven't been able to play with them beyond a bit of computer modelling. I'm just leaning to use LinearX's LEAP software instead of the old way (ie. equations and lots of paper in the wastebasket for me). I figure that my wife is only going to let me buy drivers once so I had best go with the best I possibly can and then I can play with the XO's & enclosures over time. Any suggestions you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Vince
Old 19th June 2007, 06:24 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hancock
Shinobiwan,

thanks for posting those measurements. I am upgrading the speakers in my digital piano and was thinking of using these drivers--wide dispersion and flat power response are really important for this applicaton. Did I understand that the distortion measurements you made were at 90dB at 2 meters? If so, those distortion specs are absolutely outstanding.

Since you've had a lot of experience working with these drivers, care to share some crossover examples?

thanks a lot, John
No passive examples from me I'm afraid, I went all manner of active routes with the ATC domes.

Just a few tips really that resulted in the best subjective sound for me. The optimum bandwidth for this driver is 500hz to 3.2Khz with steep filters like 24dB/oct order min and preferably 48db/oct+. Reasons for this is very high distortion below 500hz and dome resonance ~4.5Khz. If you extend the operating range and/or use shallow slopes you can get a rather hard sounding midrange because of the distortion and at the upper end, a fatiguing, harsh lower treble due to the resonance.

The ATC doesn't seem especially bothered about parnering drivers on its low pass but the highpass is especially critical. I found ATC's own bass driver to be a great match overall. Look at paper drivers for the best results I think and forget about alu, magnesium and the stiffer cone types. Look for a bass driver with good sensitivity too as I believe these will match the dome mid nicely.

One quick note is to be sure you level out the passband of the driver, its quite uneven at first but a few bands of PEQ give a near ruler flat response through that important and sensitive mid region.
Old 19th June 2007, 06:26 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Default Re: ScanSpeak R2904/7000

Quote:
Originally posted by vincentrubble
Hi Shin;

At the beginning of this thread you mention that you have measurements on the ScanSpeak R2904/7000 ring radiator. Could you please post these? What do you think of this driver? I have recently ordered a pair of the SM75-150S and the R2904/7000-09 (black instead of aluminum coloured) from Solen. They have not yet arrived so I haven't been able to play with them beyond a bit of computer modelling. I'm just leaning to use LinearX's LEAP software instead of the old way (ie. equations and lots of paper in the wastebasket for me). I figure that my wife is only going to let me buy drivers once so I had best go with the best I possibly can and then I can play with the XO's & enclosures over time. Any suggestions you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Vince
The R2904 is very overpriced but still a good driver if you look at the big picture and ignore the price. I think you'll be happy as it doesn't do anything particularly wrong and mates well with the ATC.
Old 20th June 2007, 01:28 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply. Are you familiar with the front mount wave guides shown at www.solen.ca? They look a lot shallower than the back mount ones I've seen. That would be great for me if true--again I am worried about achieving a flat power response.

regards, John
Old 20th June 2007, 10:58 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

From looking at them they aren't wave guides but trim plates to tidy the look up. I have no experience with them so can't really say much else.
Old 20th June 2007, 02:58 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hancock
Thanks for the reply. Are you familiar with the front mount wave guides shown at www.solen.ca? They look a lot shallower than the back mount ones I've seen. That would be great for me if true--again I am worried about achieving a flat power response.

regards, John

Quote:
Originally posted by ShinOBIWAN
From looking at them they aren't wave guides but trim plates to tidy the look up. I have no experience with them so can't really say much else.
They are in fact only trim plates that allow front mounting of the driver instead of rear mounting it. The driver attaches to the trim plate which is then screwed to the front baffle of your speaker. I took a look at them earlier this year but they are too big in diameter to work for me; they are about 230mm. I hope this helps. I can say that from my experience Chris at Solen is excellent to work with, very helpful, quick responses, etc.
Vince
Old 22nd June 2007, 05:27 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Default Cabinet damping

Hey Shin;

What do you use for enclosure damping? I am meaning the damping material used to increase the apparent (accoustic) volume of a cabinet, not the damping material used to decrease cabinet resonances.

Thanks,
Vince
Old 22nd June 2007, 06:21 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Hi Vince

Bonded Acetate Fibre(BAF) or lambs wool work well.

Hide this!Advertise here!