ATC SM75-150S Dome Mid Measurement Data - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th September 2006, 10:30 PM   #11
diyAudio Moderator

Sounds like a nice system, the Volts should be good to around 600Hz, making crossing over convenient, and now you have my current favorite tweets up top then you should be rocking!

We really need to organise a UK diy day to showcase some of these projects!
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 26th September 2006, 10:00 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

I'm not sure I'd run the volts that high, these are the B versions, not the BM.

I still need to digit extract and actually build something, I've only had the drivers for ~2 years and the idea to build some big 3-ways for ~8 years....
Old 27th September 2006, 01:57 AM   #13
Greggo is offline Greggo  United States
diyAudio Member

Default couple of questions...

Shin,

I noticed in your "perceive" thread you started with the regular 150 and then traded up to the 150S. Can you comment a bit on what you observed between the two models of the ATC mid dome...

Also, I am curious about some comments that have been made about the dome sounding better when crossed lower even though distortion clearly skyrockets as you go from 400hz down to 300 hz. I remember someone posting in another forum that they thought the real magic of full range drivers was the smooth run from around 200hz to 4000hz. I find it interesting that the ATC comes pretty darn close to running that range, but wondering why some find it just sounds better as things go even lower.

I have noticed that when a manufacturer cranks up the magnet/sensitivity on a given model the frequency response often gets a bit more ragged, do you find that to be the case here?

And finally, what makes me even more curious about the best lower crosover point for the ATC is that response seems to also drop pretty sharply below 400hz which I would think, when combined with the distortion issue would make for a crossover point around 450hz much more desireable than one around 350hz.

Anyways, I guess the bottom line is that for those of us thinking about this driver, and not having any reason to believe we will be lucky enough to run into a great deal to trade up, is the "Special" version worth the extra dough in your opinion. As listed on the Solen site, it is approximately a 45% mark up from the standard version.
Old 31st January 2007, 06:43 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Hi Shin,

Those distortion measurements are gone. Any chance you can update the links?

regards,
Thanh.
Old 31st January 2007, 07:16 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Irwin AR
Yep need to have a look at em as well.
TIA
Old 31st January 2007, 07:48 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The amplitude response is not as smooth or as flat as might be expected for driver that costs so much or is held in such reverence.
I don't know what others regard as smooth but a driver that is within +- 1 dB from 500 Hz up to 4 kHz IS smooth IMO.

There are neither drivers that are perfect by themselves nor are there perfect crossovers - it is the combination of suitable drivers with accordingly designed crossovers and cabinets that give good results.

I have heard the ATC SCM 100 active (using this dome mid) lately. And I'd have to say it sounded astounding. The same accounts for the larges studio monitor by PMC that uses the same dome mid.

Regards

Charles
Old 31st January 2007, 11:25 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by phase_accurate
[B]

I don't know what others regard as smooth but a driver that is within +- 1 dB from 500 Hz up to 4 kHz IS smooth IMO.
Just to be clear, the quoted text from my post is actually Ralfs commentary that I borrowed from his website.

Quote:
There are neither drivers that are perfect by themselves nor are there perfect crossovers - it is the combination of suitable drivers with accordingly designed crossovers and cabinets that give good results.

I have heard the ATC SCM 100 active (using this dome mid) lately. And I'd have to say it sounded astounding. The same accounts for the larges studio monitor by PMC that uses the same dome mid.

Regards

Charles
I'm sure your aware that I used and loved the SM75-150S. So your preaching to the converted here. Still the best mid I've heard

BTW I believe PMC no longer use the ATC and have instead developed their own variant for use in their best monitors. The mid range stuff still uses the Vifa D75 by the looks of things - an average dome mid at best compared to the ATC.
Old 31st January 2007, 11:46 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tktran303
Hi Shin,

Those distortion measurements are gone. Any chance you can update the links?

regards,
Thanh.

Quote:
Originally posted by Irwin AR
Yep need to have a look at em as well.
TIA
Fixed:

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 31st January 2007, 12:15 PM   #19
diyAudio Member